Strobe Candles

Back in late 60's and early 70's, strobe candles were a big hit. They flicker when they burn and are very relaxing.

Are there any oldtimers or newtimers who know what I'm talking about? I'm interested in the learning the techniques to make these. Does anyone have any clues? I can't believe google only brought 1 search result, and that was four years ago. Is there a conspiracy to keep Strobe Candles a top secret?

Vintaged1

Flickering flames are what we try to avoid!

I don't remember the strobe candles in the 60s. Incense burning, hair flowers, bell bottom pants, and pink lensed sunglasses I remember thou.:)

LOL! Me too! I used to have a pair of purple hip hugger bell bottom pants I used to LUV! Too bad I couldn't wear those now!LOL! I also used to have a chopper bike..it was white with a purple seat with assorted color daisies all over it..oh yeah, I had to have a basket too!UGH! Those were the days! LOL..The only candles I remember back then is the one's that melt all over the sides of a bottle..looked like lava..

Kimmeroo:smiley2:

• 12 years later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Strobe candles were made with two closely-spaced (about 1/8” to 3/16”?) wicks. The combination of dimensions and updraft would cause the flame to extinguish and relight itself several times per second, making a popping sound to go with the blinking light.