I'm new... first batch tomorrow!

Jola

Hi!

I'm new to the board and soap making.

I have been researching and reading like crazy! It all started a couple weeks ago when I was searching for info on homemade laundry soap and stumbled upon something about homemade soap.

For some reason it grabbed my attention and I have been a soap information whore ever since! I have about 30 bookmarks of hints, tips and recipes on my computer and I purchased The Soapmaker's Companion book.

After scouring yard sales, thrift shops and my Mom's old kitchen wares I have all the equipment I need (for under $15!). I've acquired the oils and the lye (after a few trips to the natural food stores and hardware stores). So I am FINALLY ready! Tomorrow (or I guess technically today) is the big day! I'm going to make my first batch! I'm so excited! :yay:

I'll be posting pics shortly.

Thanks to you all for all the useful info I have already picked up on this board!

I just finished my first batch. :yay:

It was a small batch but I didn't realize how small it was going to be. It barely even filled my pot 1 inch! lol.

Since it was small it took awhile to trace. And I didn't want to use the stick blender much because of air bubbles. I guess good practice right?

It's now happily sitting in some PVC pipes. Can't wait till tomorrow to unmold and cut it!

The lye really wasn't as scary as I thought it was going to be. I didn't smell it or anything when I added it to water. (Of course, I was in full safety gear that included a face mask).

I think I'm going to do an oatmeal batch tomorrow :cheesy2:

I had some trouble getting it out of the molds (about 2 in dia pvc pipe, I was thinking "guest soap") but a little while in the freezer and a tinker toy later, it popped right out.

It's still on the drying racks, I'm trying to be good and let it cure the whole time but I'm about to cave and give it a try. I'm surprised at how white it is. :cheesy2:

I've made two batches since.

Now just waiting on some FO's and base oils to arrive in the mail.