gel air fresheners???

erinmfritz

I am talking about the solid gel ones that you use knox gelatin to make, not the smelly jellies.

Does anyone have luck making these? If so, which recipe do you use and how long do they last? Do you need to use any type of preservative in them to keep the nastys out?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Erin

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Curiousity got the best of me so used a recipe that called for added alcohol (I thought that recipe may prevent mold), it's been in my van for 2 days now and it's knock your socks off strong with no mold. Hopefully it will work, I am comparing it with a store bought one in my DH's car.

Scentgifts, I make the ornies already but want to find something else that is unique and that will hold scent longer than the ornies.

Any other input would be great..........

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Curiousity got the best of me so used a recipe that called for added alcohol (I thought that recipe may prevent mold), it's been in my van for 2 days now and it's knock your socks off strong with no mold. Hopefully it will work, I am comparing it with a store bought one in my DH's car.

Scentgifts, I make the ornies already but want to find something else that is unique and that will hold scent longer than the ornies.

Any other input would be great..........

How do you make the ones with the alcohol? And what are they putting then in?

Here is the recipe I used. I have had it in my van for 5 days now and wow, it is doing great as far as scent and still no mold. I made 2 other scents to give to friends to try and did have a little separation of oil in those but not in my first one. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that these work, so far they are definatly stronger than the ornies.

• 1 packet of unflavored Knox Gelatin
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup vodka of grain alcohol (I used 90% rubbing alcohol)
  • 1- 2 TBSP. fragrance oil

Food coloring as desired. Dissolve the gelatin in the boiling water. Allow to cool to room temperature then add the vodka, coloring and scent. Pour into decorative jar (I use 8 ounce canning jar) with tight fitting lid, and refrigerate till set.

If these work I will put them in tins I think. Mine is in a glass jar and the others I made are in the small plastic oval containers from BCN.

Well you have a problem if you are just using it for yourself fine but you can not sell that with out a special license in most states to much alcohol. Plus you would not be able to ship it any where.

So what could I try instead of the alcohol to prevent mold?

Well you have a problem if you are just using it for yourself fine but you can not sell that with out a special license in most states to much alcohol. Plus you would not be able to ship it any where.

Vicky, is there a problem with selling when using the 90% alcohol? I assumed she meant the 90% alcohol you can buy in drugstores. Or am I wrong about the percentage of that--I know I've seen discussion on here about a stronger alcohol than the normal rubbing type.

Thanks,

Jane

Stores are suppose to actually start to questioning you if you buy more than a certain amount of rubbing alcohol. I have been questioned and when they learned I was using it to clean up gel wax containers(it cleans up gel wax burgers pretty well) they did not have a problem. I am not sure what the law is concerning selling with just rubbing alcohol but the post office will not take anything made with it. Shipping anything with alcohol with out all your hazmat stuff in order will get you large fines and possible jail time.

Each state is different in there Laws concerning alcohol of any kind so if you are going to have to be aware of each states laws that you are shipping to.

I have a killer room spray recipe that I can only use for myself because the the vodka in it. I loved it but can not sell it.

Erin I would look in to some of the B&B preservatives ones for lotion or shampoos the ones designed for high water content.

Thank you Vicky, I was thinking today about alcohol as an ingredient and air fresheners came to mind. I know that people use alcohol in some of those and also the fuel for the effusion lamps which is why I bought the alcohol (only for personal use.) What ammount of preservative is normal to use instead of the alcohol?

Seems like if the alcohol would evaporate cause to lid would be off. I have gotten a jar of something? that looks like a wax and you use in a candle warmer. And it scents a room but the stuff? just dissipates to nothing. Anyone know what that could be? What does the Knox look like after it dries up? And wouldn't that be expensive, can it be bought generic? A plastic jar would be great. hummmmm

And thanks for the recipe.

Just an update, it has been in my van for 10 days, the smell isn't overpowering but I can definatly still smell it very good. There is no mold at all on the surface, it seems to be holding up well. I just need suggestions for what to replace the alcohol with, I looked at preservatives and that's overwhelming to try to figure out which would be the one to try, I've never used them. Any suggestions would be great.

Are you sure isopropyl alcohol falls in the same category as vodka? I have bought 20 bottles of it at a time at walmart, rite aid, any place I can find it and never had anyone question me. It's great for preventing infections in cuts etc and I keep it as part of my first aid kit and always have it on hand. It is flammable. I contacted the alcohol tobacco and firearm division and asked them if it would be illegal to sell this in a product. I told them it was for ornaments similar to yankees gel ornaments and it was going to be used to prevent mold. I'm waiting to hear their response.

You are probably right tho. I was just hoping. this would be awesome for making gel ornaments.

How do people get away with it in other recipes? There is one for making your own stuff for those lamps. I know they sell it on ebay, I've seen it. Unless they are unaware it's illegal?

Sorry not questioning you, just shocked. Who would drink the stuff?

I decided to test this out to see how the recipe works, we have a high mold issue out here, and its year round, mine has been in my car for a week, still smells awesome and there is no mold which is such a shock since bread cant sit out on the counter w/out getting mold =0). Im going to continue to test this

It is still smelling good, not as strong but I can still smell it. It's chilly here so I think that's why it's not as strong. I just checked the jar and still no mold, the gel is drying up or evaporating, you can see a line where it started and it has gone down about 1/4", surface is not hard either. I think I am liking this, just need to find a way around the alcohol thing. I haven't ordered any preservative yet, not sure I want to buy alot just to test one product. Keep me posted on your findings if you try it. I'm curious how others will do in other climates.

I got a reply back. Local states differ, however, as the kind lady who looked up the law stated in her email (she lives in Texas and said she wasn't sure of the laws in my state but I could look them up). However note rubbing alcohol is denatured and therefore unfit for drinking. Her email follows:

"Alcoholic sales laws differ from state to state. I don't know what state you are from, so I can't consult your Alcoholic Beverage Code, but the law is probably not very different from the law in my state of Texas

Here the liquor laws apply to "alcoholic beverages," which are defined in the Code as "alcohol, or any beverage containing more than one-half of one percent of alcohol by volume, which is capable of use for beverage purposes, either alone or when diluted." Rubbing alcohol is denatured to make it unfit for drinking, so it would not qualify as an alcoholic beverage, and the liquor laws would not apply.

In the case of your project, I would probably be more concerned with the safety issue. Isopropyl alcohol is very inflammable. You might want to contact the Consumer Product Safety Administration to make sure your product is safe and legal."

She then gave me contact info for the Consumer Product Safety. I'll email them as well as my state, but I am almost sure that denatured alcohol is ok to sell. I do agree that the flammable part is what I'd be concerned with.

Shipping anything with alcohol with out all your hazmat stuff in order will get you large fines and possible jail time.

I apologize I did not see the original recipe called for vodka! That would be illegal. lol I'm sure even with the fragrance oil some people would try eating them (I've heard of people drinking worse to get drunk).

The hazmat is probably a problem, but if you google that word that department shows up and you can email them and ask them a general question. I gave them the recipe using ispropyl alcohol 91% proof and asked about shipping these. lol curiousity killed the cat but like Stephen King said "Satisfaction brought him back".

Sorry for not throughly reading the recipe. :) I always make a mistake at least once a week but I try to learn from it.

Hazmat site:

http://phmsa.dot.gov/hazmat/info-center