My lipbalm is kinda hard

Guest Ox_B_love

Guest Ox_B_love

okay so i started with lipbalm base and that became too easy. Then i decided to go with the recipe of beeswax, coconut oil and vitamin e. So i didnt use the vitamin E because its optional. The lipbalm turned out great but how would i make it softer if i wanted to? Or is that just how beeswax lipbalms are?:wave:

Try the search feature at the top. A lot of answers to your questions can be found by searching and you will learn so much more by reading through the posts and threads. There are several very good lip balm recipes in this section.

okay so i started with lipbalm base and that became too easy. Then i decided to go with the recipe of beeswax, coconut oil and vitamin e. So i didnt use the vitamin E because its optional. The lipbalm turned out great but how would i make it softer if i wanted to? Or is that just how beeswax lipbalms are?:wave:

Just add more coconut oil. I have changed my lip balm recipe several times by adjusting the oil and wax content. I'm usually trying to get it harder though (my husband doesn't like having it melt in his pocket)

Guest Ox_B_love

yeah they arent that hard but i was just wondering how to make them a little softer i added more coconut oil to the mixture and it seemed to have worked. So vitamin e would also make it a little softer?

OK, found the FDA policy. This is an excerpt from an article on the FDA website:

"...FDA considers the labeling of vitamins in cosmetics a separate issue, however, and does not recognize health claims for them in cosmetics. A product that features a vitamin--for example, vitamin E--must list it by its chemical name TOCOPHEROL on the ingredient list. Listing it as a vitamin in the ingredient statement would give the misleading impression that vitamin E in the product offers a nutrient or health benefit. (Vitamin E is usually added as an antioxidant to prevent chemical deterioration of the product.) "

so you must list it as tocopherol...

here's a link to the article

http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/cos-labl.html

Yep, will be finding all kinds of interesting things once I get through this book on labeling. I never would have thought the v-e would have been a big deal, except, as ah-soy stated. I know people we've seen at craft shows use it on their labels and may or may not realize the no no.

Guest Ox_B_love

okay so no vitamin E unless i put it on the label... god i didnt know it was that serious lol. Well looks like im sticking to no vitamin E i will take my rather hard but not soo soft lipbalm. Thanks for actually bringing that up Scented. *bubble bath*

Google is your friend.

You have labels to reprint. So do I, but I won't offer to help you on yours lol. Sorry.

Like the FDA post says, the vitamin e mention at all tends to leave an impression there's some type of benefit and we can't make those claims unless we've been certified right?

My products are lab tested, but drug testing is delving into a financial realm I don't know I'm ready for yet! Any idea offhand what the cost is? I make a face cream with cosmetic actives that I would love to eventually sell and market for its actual benefits, but don't even know if I want to find out the measures it would take to legally do that.

Not a clue. With the way the FDA is headed, I wouldn't be surprised if all we do eventually ends up with a strict line of testing before it can go on the market.

Actually, I wonder if the FDA wouldn't have a list of that procedure or protocol. I haven't delved that far. Somewhere you should be able to get all the certification needed and the info should be readily available. I just don't have it. I also don't think lab tested is the last stop.