Soap Not Gelling

ladysj

Okay I don't know what's going on with my soaps lately. I'm not getting a full gel on any of my batches. It's the same recipe I've been using. I made a batch yesterday, put it under the electric blanket & piled blankets and pillows on top of it.

I left it set under there for well over 8 hours took it out and wrapped it in a flannel robe. This morning it still looks like only a partial gel. What am I doing wrong? Is it that I'm just not letting it set covered long enough? I NEVER had this problem before even after a few hours it was ready to remove from the mold & completely gelled inside.

:angry2: Please help.

Now that you mention I do seem to remember it starting to happen when the weather started getting cooler. I never thought of that being the culprit. I'll try warming the mold on this next batch.

Thanks I think you are on to something.:laugh2:

If you mold isn't thin plastic, you can also pop your uncovered soap into a 170F oven for an hour to force gel. Just turn it off when you're done and let it sit in there overnight.

That seems to be the most reliable method for me in our drafty old house.

I'm sure it's the season and difference in ambient temp that's causing your problem.

All the suggestions you got from people related to adding heat and retaining heat when the soap is in the mold are fine. In particular, preheating the mold is a helpful thing that a lot of people overlook.

However, I'd just like to point out that one the biggest factors is the temperature of the soap when you pour it into the mold. In fact, that could be the main cause of your diffculties if you're leaving your liquids overnight to come to room temperature or something like that. You might just be pouring cooler and that can make a big difference as far as your batch reaching gel temps. Room temperature soap with a lot of soft slow-saponifying oil can be pretty unreliable when it comes to gelling.

A small effort to soap a little warmer can substitute for a big effort warming and/or cozying your batch after it's poured.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I don't gel any of my soaps, except salt bars. My milk and shampoo bars are poured and left in the Kelsei over night and then turned out the next day for drying. If you feel the side of the mold; it is warm but not hot and there is no noticeable gelling taking place. I know this is a big argument about "to gel or not to gel" but not having to go through any elaborate maneuvers for good soap seems most sensible.

• 4 months later...

I have difficulty working out 'best temperature' for soaping - is there a source for some basic guidelines? The recipes I see don't always have soaping temperatures and I get a bit nervous as to whether I am doing it right.

thanks

I have difficulty working out 'best temperature' for soaping - is there a source for some basic guidelines? The recipes I see don't always have soaping temperatures and I get a bit nervous as to whether I am doing it right.

thanks

Most people I think prefer to soap with the oils and lye around 90-100, but it really is a matter of preference and what works for you, your mold, where you soap, etc. As long as your soap is coming out the way you want, you are doing it correctly. I think its best to avoid soaping with your oils and lye hot. In the winter, when I am soaping with my fats at room temp (not melted), then I do soap with my lye hot to melt the butters.

Hi Meredith

Thank you - that's what I have been doing and so far so good (with a few 'panic attacks' in between) even with the softer soap recipes.

What do you mean by "...soap with my lye hot to melt the butters...." ? That sounds interesting...... ?

Hi Meredith

Thank you - that's what I have been doing and so far so good (with a few 'panic attacks' in between) even with the softer soap recipes.

What do you mean by "...soap with my lye hot to melt the butters...." ? That sounds interesting...... ?

You can soap using a method some call RTCP (room temperature cold process) whereby you don't melt your butters; you soap with them at room temp. You use the lye as soon as you make it and let the heat of the lye melt the butters. Once melted, add your oils and soap as normal.

• 2 weeks later...