lip balm ingredients on label

Rae

Okay....I am new to the B&B and need help on lip balm labels.

I love WSP lip balm for sticks, but their ingredients are so long to fit on the label. Therefore, I used 2 different recipes, not using their base, and they are okay but not as great as WSP base.

Here are the ingredients from their website:

Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil (and) Cetyl Stearyl Alcohol (and) Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil (and) Beeswax (and) Hydrogenated Castor Oil (and) Glycine Soja (Soybean) Lipids (and) Lauryl Laurate (and) Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax (and) Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax

So, don't use the botanical names and just the "Caster Seed Oil", etc, etc?

TIA!

Rae

I'm making the switch to labeling everything I have with their proper INCI labels. I'd recommend you keep the same format you got from WSP just to be on the safe side.

However, I've seen some products labeled where you can find ingredient listing on a website. I think it's better to have it on the actual product, but if you're worried about length, then maybe the website would be an option in this case?

Here is the reply from BB about not putting "EO" or "FO" on the labels of what I ordered. I did mention to them that I thought FDA required them to list what the product was, ie "FO" or "EO".

Rae

Thanks for checking in! I'm so sorry that there was some

confusion on the labels of your Essential Oils! All of our Essential Oils

and Fragrance Oils are poured to order and as far as we know the FDA doesn’t

require us to label our bottles with the distillation methods, etc. since we

are not in a retail setting (and because we list that information on the website).

The labels are typed up and printed off by the same people who pour the

Essential Oils and if there have been a lot of orders they aren’t always

as careful as they should be and they might leave off some of that information

from the labels. We’ll definitely talk to them about that to make

sure they try a little harder to get that information on there every time! J

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Have a fabulous day!

Michelle

www.brambleberry.com

www.otionsoap.com

www.teachsoap.com

http://soap-queen.blogspot.com/

• 3 months later...

And you could turn every one of them into the FDA. They can't make those claims without being qualified to sell drugs.

You can put tocopheryl (think that's the spell), but again, a cosmetic can make absolutely no claim. It just is what it is. Once a claim is made ... FDA can get rich.

I'm not ... any more that is. People either don't think they'll get caught, think they have an edge over a competitor, don't want to learn about the rules, because rules don't apply to them, or they can't read. Maybe they can, but why should they?

You'd be amazed at how much ignorance is out there and what they make.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse! :rolleyes2

It does suck however, especially with something like vitamin E, which has a proven track record of what it can do.

I mean, I could understand is someone said... "Our soap cures disease!"

It's a two double edged sword when it comes to labeling.

As a consumer, you want to know what is in a product. As a business person, even when making a natural product, labeling with the scientific and botanical names looks scary to a customer. "You say that your product is all natural... why are there ingredients with words a mile long!?!":tiptoe: