Bert's FO Reviews

evesorto

Wax is igi 4627, fo is 10%, wick is eco 2 and container is a one oz. tin, appx 2" diameter. I am using a new testing method. I am now allowing the candle to burn for 2 hours before I rate it. I am using my master bedroom which is appx 15'x20' with 8 ft ceilings.

A rating of "10" means that the scent filled the room and was an extremely powerful scent.

A rating of "9" means that the scent filled the room.

A rating of "8" means that the scent filled the room but was a "barely there" type of scent.

Anything lower than an "8", I rated as "0".

I would only reccomend oils with a rating of 9 or 10.

Many have attested to the fact that these low priced oils offer quite a bang for the buck and I found that to be the case.

Apple Dumpling - I gave this a 10. Filled the room in less than 15 minutes. Reminded me of KY Apple Pie.

Aspen Forrest - I gave this a 10. Filled the room in under an hour. It is a twin of Flickers Balsam Citrus.

Christmas Pine - Awesome. Gave it a 10. Filled room in 5 minutes.

Christmas Pear - Another 10. This reminded me of CS Brandied Pear....maybe I smelled a hint of cocoa? Could probably wick up.

Coconut - This did throw. I gave it over an hour to marinate. I would rate it a ten. Reccomend wicking up. Sweet coconut.

Cucumber Melon - Wow. Some throw. 10! Filled room in 15 minutes and lingers long. It reminded me of the ICS version...heavier on melon than cuke. Still prefer BNL, but if money is an issue, this is by far the best that I've found (at 9.99/lb).

Ed Hardy - This was a suprise. Another 10 and truthfully, cold throw was somewhat light so I wasn't expecting it. Although, description says fruity, my nose smelled floral - sweet pea, in fact?

Moonlight Path - This one I gave a nine. It was a bbw dupe, exact and it gave me the same problem that other exact dupes have given me. The only Moonlight Paths that have worked for me are the ICS version and Tony's but they aren't exact.

Peanut Butter Crunch - Very nice. A 10. Peanut butter, cookie, maybe some chocolate?

Sweet Pea- gorgeous. not bbw dupe. A 10. Reminded me of Jill Sanders perfume...a floral.

Tranquil Sleep - A wonderful bbw dup....a perfect 10!

Tropical Vanilla - Another 10. Very fruity....maybe akin to sex on beach?

Vanilla Latte - Strongest of the bunch. Lingers forever. Another 10....starbucks vanilla frap. Not a candle scent to me but people will love it.

Great oils, great prices, quick delivery.....I will try more from here.

Eve

Thanks Eve for the reviews. I always enjoy reading them. :) I have started to test several of her oils and use a few so far. I would like to know how these do in the main part of the house in a double wicked candle. Since you are tesing the single wicked tins, I can understand why you are testing them in one room. I tend to test all my fragrances in the main room and want to be able to smell them right when I come in the house and like it to travel on the first floor and a bit up the second floor....at least a bit when I start to come down the stairs. Since I test like this, it is much harder to find the knockouts. However with my spa line or small little roly polies I test them in our bedroom first and sometimes in the livingroom. The spa line is meant for bedrooms or bathrooms, etc.

I need to order the cucumber and melon to try it. I am still trying to decide on the right one. I like the melon to be noticeable. The BNL version is strong but it to me does not smell like straight cucumber and melon. To me it has a very slight perfumy side to it....not much but just a tad. So far Candle Cocoons Cuc. and Melon is winning but I wish it had a tad more melon to it - depends on what a person likes....more cucumber than melon or a tad more melon than cucumber. CC version is very real smelling. If you like a straight cucumber, CC's Cucumber Chaos is excellent and throws great in soy!

I have the Vanilla Latte which I need to test. To my nose it has that slight "rotten" note that I smell with a lot of vanillas. I know others that tend to pick up on this weird note in some vanillas as well. It depends on the nose, I guess.

I also love the Lemon Biscotti Pie and it smells great both HT/CT. I love coffee scents and ordered the Vanilla Latte. OOB it was not the best but once I poured it it was great. I have a friend who requests this candle all the time. I only pour and make this scent for her...lol!

Laura

Update......I've decided to test in my basement....open floor plan...atleast 20'x30'. I noticed a little soot/ghosting in my bedroom. I painted just 3 months ago. I was curious to know if more soot develops with tins vs. glass? I don't see soot on jars or tins but I do see it on walls above baseboard heaters, as well as the baseboards themselves. I do have a gas fireplace in bedroom as well, but my instincts say it's the candles....I do ALOT of testing in there. I'm going to leave the fireplace off for next couple of weeks to see if any dust/soot develops on or above baseboards. Then I will use fireplace again and see what happens.

Back to the Bert's fo candles......The candles are still throwing phenomenally.......I've already tried the apple dumpling, vanilla latte and the cuc melon. I was able to smell the candles upstairs within a half hour. Please note that the candle tins are two ounce (I erroneously wrote 1 oz in original post)....I've been using two ounce for the last 100 or so oils that I've tested but forgot to change it in my template. I imagine that they will all do well, I am curious to see if the moonlight path and ed hardy will do as well in my basement. I will post results.

Eve

Update, Ed Hardy is still kickin' *ss and Moonlight Path is still holding on. That Ed Hardy has a real light ct but really comes to life when lit. The Moonlight Path, as I said before has always been problematic for me when it is an exact dup....the oil doesn't throw extremely well. Even the original candle from BBW was never a killer candle....guess it's the nature of the oil?

I will not re-review every oil, but suffice it to say that they are all still 10's, even in my huge open basement. Within a half hour, I am able to smell the candle upstairs (when I open door).

Eve

Update, Ed Hardy is still kickin' *ss and Moonlight Path is still holding on. That Ed Hardy has a real light ct but really comes to life when lit. The Moonlight Path, as I said before has always been problematic for me when it is an exact dup....the oil doesn't throw extremely well. Even the original candle from BBW was never a killer candle....guess it's the nature of the oil?

I will not re-review every oil, but suffice it to say that they are all still 10's, even in my huge open basement. Within a half hour, I am able to smell the candle upstairs (when I open door).

Eve

Hi Eve,

Thanks for the update. :) I feel the same about Moonlight Path. I have tested a few and never really got that great of a throw, in soy. I do have the one from Bert's. I may give it a try for the heck of it.

~Holly

Hi holly, I've noticed the weird, "rotten" note in many, and I do mean MANY, pumpkins from various suppliers. What *IS this? I also smell alcohol pretty strong in many of the same ones. Do these funky scents tend to mellow out in wax at all? I' haven't yet tested the funky smelling ones. Just sniffed them OOB.... so I'm very curious. Are they even *worth testing when they smell that way?

~Mt Annie~

Holly writes: >>>> I have the Vanilla Latte which I need to test. To my nose it has that slight "rotten" note that I smell with a lot of vanillas. I know others that tend to pick up on this weird note in some vanillas as well. It depends on the nose, I guess.

Mt Annie-

I've noticed an alcohol smell in a couple of oils that I bought off classys - one was a pumpkin - NG's Pumpkin Crunch Cake (the other was Solas Vanilla Plum)- I wasn't sure if this was cause oil was old and stored in plastic or if this was just the way the oil smelled oob. I'm curious if this is one of the oils you are referrring to?

thanks,

Eve

Mt Annie-

I've noticed an alcohol smell in a couple of oils that I bought off classys - one was a pumpkin - NG's Pumpkin Crunch Cake (the other was Solas Vanilla Plum)- I wasn't sure if this was cause oil was old and stored in plastic or if this was just the way the oil smelled oob. I'm curious if this is one of the oils you are referrring to?

thanks,

Eve

Hi Eve, Actually, NG's PCC (purchased here on classys as well) *was one of the alcohol-y ones...but it wasn't NEAR as bad as a lot of the other pumpkins I've tried ...and I've tried a LOT of them. I can probably work with NG's PCC...but otherwise...only 3 pumpkins have been "bearable keepers" so far. :)

It *could be those plastic bottles but not sure because I have several in glass bottles although they may have been in plastic previously. (I usually transfer to glass if at all possible) OR it could just be that they're older...or that they've always smelled that way. :( Just not sure.

The other scent in many pumpkins, besides the alcohol....is a funky, rancid / rotten scent that I can't quite describe...but it almost turns my stomach. I've also found it in several of the "general" Fall/Autumn/Harvest type scents.

I haven't tried the Solos Vanilla Plum...but I'll keep in mind that it's one of "those" FOs. (wrinkling nose)