Portion Cup Lids Popping off in Transit

soshiegirl

Hey all,

For those of you that use the 1.5 and 2 ounce round portion cups with clear lids (pic below), how do you keep the lids from popping off in transit? Tape? I know I don't over fill them but some of the lids came off when shipped to testers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

post-2087-139458453375_thumb.jpg

I know it isn't pretty, but I use electrical tape when I ship oils in plastic which want to leak even though they are screw tops. The tape works great.

DH is an electrician, so there's always electrical tape around. And I guess you can buy colors other than black. I just use black cuz it's here.

I gave away my black portion cups because as they sat, the FO's ate through the plastic and they all stuck together. It was a big gooey mess.

That is a perfect example of long term testing. After 5 months, the cups failed. How long do those clear ones hold up to the FO's?

I gave away my black portion cups because as they sat, the FO's ate through the plastic and they all stuck together. It was a big gooey mess.

That is a perfect example of long term testing. After 5 months, the cups failed. How long do those clear ones hold up to the FO's?

This happens to me too with a lot of oils no matter which cups I seem to buy. I only use them for samples but it still causes a problem when they sit on my shelf. :( You can't even make them ahead of time.

Am I the only one confused here? Those who say the oils are eating through, are you talking about the cups filled with scented wax tarts? Or are you putting straight fo into them? Maybe I misread something???

I've got tarts that I poured into cups 3 years ago that look the same as the day I poured them. There are different grades of plastic used for the cups...mine have a recycle '5' on the bottom and are polypro..

as for the lids coming off, I would tape or shrink wrap I guess...I've never shipped these, but would guess that the different temperatures and pressures involved during shipping is probably causing this. Like when you get home from a trip and your lotion has exploded all over your bag.

Some FOs in tart wax do eat through the plastic. I have a whole box of samples poured into portion cups made last year that are all stuck together. The sweet, heavy FOs are epecially bad, ex coffee, banana nut, cinnamon, amaretto. I will not pour tarts in these cups. They do not hold up. Carole

I've got tarts that I poured into cups 3 years ago that look the same as the day I poured them. There are different grades of plastic used for the cups...mine have a recycle '5' on the bottom and are polypro..

Me, too! Me, too! And I use a lot of bakery and sweet FOs, also. I guess I'll have to keep an eye on them but I've got a bag of a variety of scents poured 18 months ago that all look great.

Some FOs in tart wax do eat through the plastic. I have a whole box of samples poured into portion cups made last year that are all stuck together. The sweet, heavy FOs are epecially bad, ex coffee, banana nut, cinnamon, amaretto. I will not pour tarts in these cups. They do not hold up. Carole

Ditto. I notice that some FO in wax melts that are in the cups will eat through the plastic and some will not. I think it may also depend on how much (what percent) FO we use. For those of you that do not have trouble what percent do you use?

Holly, I use 6.7% FO in soy wax. My portions cups are the oval ones from the WEBstaurant Store.

What percent did you use when your portion cups went bad?

I use between 9-10%. They do not bleed but it does eat the plastic -- the soy I use for tarts holds a lot. I bet the difference in percent may be why some experience the problem and others don't. I wonder what percent the others use that have the eating problem.

I wouldn't put tape on the lids just for aesthetic reasons. If you have to, wrap them in plastic wrap or foil and put the tape (or even a pretty sticker) on that. It would look more professional.

Are they being packed properly so that they aren't shifting during shipping, possibly causing them to crash into each other and knock the lids off?

A pretty sticker isn't going to cut it, really. Maybe black tape doesn't look good, but I will trade look good for work good. And I haven't lost a customer yet for using it.

I pack things really well for shipping, but it doesn't mean the post office isn't going to flip the box upside down 40,000 times before it gets to the receiver.

My comments were not directed at you Wildcrafter, and my suggestion was not just use a sticker. It was to wrap the container and seal the wrapping with a sticker as one option.

If things are truly packed well, then there's no need to worry about things getting tossed about; even getting knocked upside down 40,000 times won't cause a lid to fall off if things are packed so there's no room to move around. When it comes to breaking goods, that can be a different story. No matter how well you wrap a breakable, if the PO drop kicks your package around the breakroom for fun, there's only so much bubble wrap can do.

I wouldn't put tape on the lids just for aesthetic reasons. If you have to, wrap them in plastic wrap or foil and put the tape (or even a pretty sticker) on that. It would look more professional.

Are they being packed properly so that they aren't shifting during shipping, possibly causing them to crash into each other and knock the lids off?

To be honest, I bet I could pack them a little tighter so they didn't shift (as much) in transit. Thanks for the ideas..got me thinking :)