Poured my first bottle of lotion!!!

CandleLytes

I am a little nervous because although I have been researching and reading for the past week or so.... once you actually do it it's different. I don't know for anyone else but I always second guess myself, and this is another second guessing moment.

I used lotion base from JBN. I contacted them and asked about presv. and they said none is needed because their base already has it in there and it should be enough, unless I am adding a whole bunch of products... in that case I would need to add more.

This is going to be a stupid question I know, I found some answers in searching this board... I just want to make sure I am doing it right.

When you test what do you look for? Obviously a good scent throw from the lotion, but how long should it last on the skin? I am also looking for skin irritation from the FO and dye. Is there anything else I should be looking for?

I don't think a good scent throw makes a lotion. Thats your own personal preference. Many customers won't like a ton of scent on the lotion because it interferes with perfumes, etc. And many won't like a ton of fragrance if they're using it only as a hand lotion.

each lotion base is different. How quickly does it soak into the skin? Do you like it silky? Or more with a grab and a coated feeling?? You need to sample it out to your customers.

I myself like a thicker lotion. Can't stand a watery lotion. But in the summer time, I change my tune.

For scent you go by percentages.

For most fragrance oils 1 to 2 % is all that is needed.

Some fragrances even less.

You have to experiment with each scent.

For coloring you need to take it easy and use colorants specifically made for bath and body products.

I use liquid colorants and micas if I color anything and the liquid I use is added drop by drop to a very pale pastel.

For lotion your feel and end use is the test of how good it is, not scent or color.

How it performs on your skin and others, glide, and a lot of other stuff.

If you like the base on its own you have a good start already.

If it isn't what you are really looking for, then you have a problem.

Guest Ox_B_love

Hi i am actually wondering the same thing i just started making lotiions but im not trying to sell them until i know if there are any problems with it.

Guest Ox_B_love

Hi and i also love thick lotion can you tell me what ingridients make it thick. I buy lotion bases so i dont know how im suppose to alter it

Sorry to say this but,if you aren't happy with the base as it is, you need to find another base.

Lots of the suppliers sell samples of the bases.

Once you start adding things to make it thicker you will be probably heating it up as well.

That could ruin the preservative.

Also all the sudden your preservative percentage is off in the original lotion with the added ingredients.

It might go bad.

If you have to add so much to make it what you want, why not make it from scratch and you would have all the control.

You aren't selling it, so you have the time to invest in formulating and testing your own lotion.

If you like the base on its own you have a good start already.

Actually I do like the base just as is!!! LOL... I use it on my legs before and after I shave. the DB says my skin is "so smooth" and asks if I am waxing. LOL. So I guess that's all I needed to know. Thanks all!