Our candle line....

OK, if no one else is going to jump in here, it might as well be me.

You are brand new to candle making, on December 6th you posted you were new and asked about soy wax. Here it is, two months later and you have an entire line of at least 5 different jars in several different colors and combinations of colors.

I just have to ask. Have you thoroughly tested every jar in every scent and color combo? Do you have your insurance lined up yet?

OK, if no one else is going to jump in here, it might as well be me.

You are brand new to candle making, on December 6th you posted you were new and asked about soy wax. Here it is, two months later and you have an entire line of at least 5 different jars in several different colors and combinations of colors.

I just have to ask. Have you thoroughly tested every jar in every scent and color combo? Do you have your insurance lined up yet?

carrie,

We've done some test burns and been very happy with the results. Also people that have bought candles have loved them. They've all said they are better than anything you could buy in a store. So it's a work in progress still.

Test burns aren't good enough. I know you are new but you need to understand this. Every single jar must be thorougly tested for each FO, each color. Every single combo. This can not be stressed enough. Making candles isn't a joke, it isn't a get rich quick scheme. Fire is dangerous. You may not think so but ask anyone that has had a candle burn down a home. My neighbor across the street burned her house down because of a bad candle. This is serious. We spend $1000's of dollars to perfect our craft and we take offense to people that think they can make a nice looking product and then sell it after just a few test burns. This site is here to teach others how to make candles but also the safety behind making and selling candles.

IMO, you have a lot to learn.

Test burns aren't good enough. I know you are new but you need to understand this. Every single jar must be thorougly tested for each FO, each color. Every single combo. This can not be stressed enough. Making candles isn't a joke, it isn't a get rich quick scheme. Fire is dangerous. You may not think so but ask anyone that has had a candle burn down a home. My neighbor across the street burned her house down because of a bad candle. This is serious. We spend $1000's of dollars to perfect our craft and we take offense to people that think they can make a nice looking product and then sell it after just a few test burns. This site is here to teach others how to make candles but also the safety behind making and selling candles.

IMO, you have a lot to learn.

What she said.

It is exciting and hard to keep yourself from moving too fast, but slowing down and taking your time is in your best interest. 2 months is not near enough time to test under as many different scenarios as you should. Especially with soy which can change from batch to batch. It seems like you guys are moving way too fast for this. Selling in 2 months after some test burns you were happy with also is cause for some concern. I hope you have good insurance in place.

No ok let me clarify some things here. One my wife has been making candles for 2 years for herself and family. We are new to candle making on a larger scale and at using different waxes. That is why I am asking questions here on this forum, so we can learn from people like yourselves that have done this for much longer.

And Carrie We are NOT doing this as a get rich quick thing. We do take this seriously. I admit we have not done test burns on EVERY combination, but we've burned more than one candle in each jar, and pillar.

I guess I'm at fault for not clarifying more about how long she's been at this, We are new to this compared to alot of you here.

I think most here can appreciate your excitement for this and eagerness to sell. Its very contagious and addicting. But regardless of whether you've done this before but not on as large of a scale, the fact that you are using different waxes will still require extensive testing under all scenarios with all jar, wax, color, wick and scent combos that you plan on selling. No matter how long you've done this, when you change wax, wicks and jars, you must thoroughly test. Experience will not alleviate the need and responsibility to do this. Please make sure that you are absolutely sure that your testing has been thorough and you've done everything you can do to make sure you are making and selling a safe product. I just don't think that 2 months is enough time.

I think most here can appreciate your excitement for this and eagerness to sell. Its very contagious and addicting. But regardless of whether you've done this before but not on as large of a scale, the fact that you are using different waxes will still require extensive testing under all scenarios with all jar, wax, color, wick and scent combos that you plan on selling. No matter how long you've done this, when you change wax, wicks and jars, you must thoroughly test. Experience will not alleviate the need and responsibility to do this. Please make sure that you are absolutely sure that your testing has been thorough and you've done everything you can do to make sure you are making and selling a safe product. I just don't think that 2 months is enough time.

What she said.

Every time you touch a new wax (or combo), a new container (or shape/size if it's a pillar or votive), a new fragrance, it's like starting from the beginning. You'll get a feel for it as you go, but you haven't gone anywhere yet. If you're new to using different waxes, you're new. No getting around it.

Pick a wax and stick with it before you start selling. Pick a container and stick with it. You simply can't be playing around with new waxes now and expect to start selling in March 2009. Not if you want any repeat customers. Not unless you want your customers to have 9-1-1 on speed dial.

We're saying this to help you, not make you mad.

Meridith,

Thank you for your input. We will take your advice and not put the soy candles out, as they are the candles we are really new at. We will do alot more testing with it. And as just a small note, the party that my wife is having is just family and some co-workers. We arent trying to become the next Yankee candle. Thanks again for your input

We're saying this to help you, not make you mad.

I know you're not trying to make me mad, and I apprictiate the honesty. While we do burn each new container, new wax, new wick, we didnt do each scent color combination. This is part of the learning process. And for the info THANK YOU. The only comment/s I took offence to were the ones that you could feel were dripping with disdain, ("how dare you even think about making candles" is how we felt they were made).

Not one person in this thread was trying to be rude, offend you or hurt feelings. Please know that. But you are right, there is a feeling of "how dare you" that does understandably come through since many of us on this board have put our blood, sweat and tears not to mention countless hours and loads of $$ into this business and we cringe when we see someone moving too fast. We cringe for them as much as for us/this profession because we've seen what harm an inexperienced chandler can cause.

Sowing down gives you time to learn more and adequately test your products. In the long run you will be thankful you did and in time, if you stick around (we hope you do), you too will see what we have been saying to you and you will (hopefullyy) more than likely be passing on the same learned experience. :)

Along with what others have said about testing, I would like to suggest working on different labels. Packaging is something that draws people to your product and a professional looking label can make or break you. I have had people buy my stuff just because they love the packaging and then later told me it was an added bonus that it was a great product. You have to consider that the candle essentially becomes part of your home decor and in my opinion, the whole package needs to look nice. A return address label randomly stuck on different areas of the container just seems tacky to me. I don't care how good the candle burns or smells, getting that label off the jar would be the first thing I would do if I bought it. You never get a second chance to make a first impression :cheesy2:

Along with what others have said about testing, I would like to suggest working on different labels. Packaging is something that draws people to your product and a professional looking label can make or break you. I have had people buy my stuff just because they love the packaging and then later told me it was an added bonus that it was a great product. You have to consider that the candle essentially becomes part of your home decor and in my opinion, the whole package needs to look nice. A return address label randomly stuck on different areas of the container just seems tacky to me. I don't care how good the candle burns or smells, getting that label off the jar would be the first thing I would do if I bought it. You never get a second chance to make a first impression :cheesy2:

I totally concur.