Rebatching

Cedar Leaf

Is there anyone that is rebatching and likes the results? I do CP and realize how much more talent it takes to do HP and make it look good. I have tried rebatch a few times but never with any stellar results. Do any of you have tips for successful rebatching?

Linda

I haven't had great results rebatching but with HP I can find it more mold-able by adding a little more liquid after cook.

I've added tea, water, aloe gel, oils etc after the cook. It will come out softer and need longer to dry and harden but it goes in the mold easier and I can get a smoother back.

Also for my logs I've used a icing gun to get a more textured top with HP.

HTH,

J

I recently had to do a rebatch (my original batch didn't keep any of the natural aromas I was hoping it would). I shredded it and then cooked it down. I added extra oils and just a little more water while it cooked down. I then put it in a log mold and didn't realize til after I cut it that not all the shreds melted. It created a really cool textured look to the soap that I think gave it more character (in a good way). So sometimes rebatching in itself can give you great unexpected results. :)

I've seen some talk about putting it in a sealed boilable bag and put it in hot water for hours to melt and then it can look like cp! I think it was eugenia who did it. Maybe search the BB gallery for rebatch soap. Sorry I don't remember where exactly I saw it. Good luck with it! :D

You can get some smooth results with the oven bag method. Last time I did this I grated the fresh soap, sealed the bag with a rubber band, and covered the pot while it was boiling. Covering the pot cut the time down dramatically. The entire recipe was melted in about 20 minutes.

When it is melted, cut the tip off the bag and squeeze it into your mold. You have to work quick cuz it will get hard again fast.

While it is melting, take it out and knead it a few times. You'll need thick gloves cuz it gets very hot.

I haven't added color or fo to my rebatches cuz they are always mistakes that I'm not sure if they are going to make it. I'm sure you could add some stuff while it is still in the bag. I've only done log mold rebatches, you may be able to try some swirls in a slab mold. It really is thick though.

I've noticed that the soaps I have rebatched turn out really nice feeling to your skin.

I'm not a rebatch fan. Rebatching always seems like a terrible amount of work and most of my batches have been fairly small so I didn't feel too bad tossing them. And they are going for good reason. Though the resulting soap from when I did was just wonderful, so maybe it is worth it.

I've seen some beautiful rebatches and am just in awe. Some of the very best have been incorporating soap shreds into fresh soap and SB the heck out them a la Miss Lilly. Though that's not traditional rebatching, but it's a way to use or correct messed up soap in a way that ends up just beautiful.