Lye shipment question

bells4shells

Alright-- I know most sites that sell lye usually tack on a hazmat fee for items ranging in the 25-55lb container range, but not for the 2lb no matter how many of them you order.

My question?

I'm thinking of doing a coop as I've found a place locally that has it for pretty darn cheap, but I'm curious as to what others think as far as doing this legally and safely. Can I really ship as much lye to someone as long as it's packaged in two pound increments? I'm not finding many answers other than seeing this to be the case on several websites that sell lye.

Also not sure if it would be okay to package in bags vs me buying containers to hold everything and keeping participating costs down. Thoughts anyone? I know with Lowe's taking lye off the shelves it's making it hard for some of you to find lye for a decent price...but maybe not?

Well I think if you pack in 2 lb increments you're good. I've certainly gotten 20 lbs of lye in the mail an through AAA Chemical, where I've not had to pay a hazmat fee, my lye comes approximately 2lbs per container. So if all of them can do it, why can't you? I'd just be really careful that you have the lye sealed very well and kept away from other products you might include.

I can't imagine buying lye if it's going to be packaged in zip lock bags. The bags can easily be damaged in shipping even if they are packaged in a flat rate or UPS box. I don't mind at all paying the hazmat fee when I purchase it in 40 or 50 lb lots because it's still much cheaper than buying at a hardware store.

I'd love to get Potasium Hydroxide at a decent price -- it just seems wrong to pay 5 dollars a pound for Sodium or for Potasium when I can get the Sodium Hydroxide locally for 1.04 a pound.

I also don't have a problem with you double bagging the lye, in a plastic bag with a wire tie and then in a slide zip freezer bag. In theory it sound like it would work. Can it be shipped with the USPS flat rate?

Linda

Thanks VERY much for the insight. I wonder if double bagging and also some tape along the opening of the bags would be sufficient?

The lye I can get would be about $.89/lb. I would have to get them in 50 lb increments.

I'm not sure about putting it through USPS - I might have to check out their website in regards to that. But that would be wonderful if that's something that would work.

I'm not really good at finding packaging at a decent price so if anyone has any suggestions for tubs or decent priced bottles to put the lye in, please pipe in. If I can locate packaging that is cost effective so it's still cheaper to do it through this coop than say AAA, then I'd love to get it started. I'm still in favor of bags if there is double bagging and extra tape involved to ensure they don't open...but I'm also open to more opinions on the matter.

Thanks VERY much for the insight. I wonder if double bagging and also some tape along the opening of the bags would be sufficient?

When I got lye through coops, all but one time I got them double baggied, taped at the top and sorted into larger envelopes. I won't order large again though through a coop. Once I got the rest of someone's bag and had to divy it myself and wasn't keen on that.

Hmmm, yeah - read over the corrosives part and was happy til I read where dry ingredients can't have more than 10% corrosive material... bummer.

Alright, looks like I may still do the other stuff then if there's enough interest. Off to find out! Thanks for the responses everyone! :)