soap curls - questions, hopefully answered

TAS

I got a pm (because she did not want to hijack that particular thread) from one of our members asking:

I posted pictures of some of my stamped soap here -

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79881

"I have a beveler, but I don't get the spiral effect like you do with your curls. Especially like the curls around the soap in the first picture you posted. And you are cutting the curls on fresh soap, I'm assuming, right?

To answer her question I created the spiral effect by taking a plain old vegetable peeler and running it down the length of a log. Yes, I used fresh soap.

In the same post, second picture, I used the soap beveler to make the curls.

Here a couple of pics -

img7139gg3.th.jpg

Soap and beveler

img7140jl4.th.jpg

Finished curl

Happy curling!

TAS

I use to do the same thing - used a pencil or dowel to get a curl, but the beveler works. I think if the soap is too fresh it is harder to get a good curl, but then it depends on the particular bar - tallow is easier, all veggie is softer and mushier to work with.

TAS

Castile doesn't curl at all? There has to be a window in there somewhere.... or is it just too brittle, especially if it is 100% olive oil? I know that my 100% olive soaps are crisp from the start.

TAS, now I will only be thinking about WHEN I will have my own beveler. Sometimes more information is not a good thing for the household accts!

Linda

do you have a cheese slicer? you can make soap curls with that (but I found that they come out a bit thicker). I actually bought the beveler to - gasp - bevel my soap bars but did not like it and thought about selling it, then I read a post by Kristy saying she used a beveler to make soap curls... I bet there might be some soaper who wants to sell their little used soap beveler. I also read you can use a carpenters chisel.

TAS

I make my castile with milk and it's a bit sticky for several months. This soap is about a month old and so still sticky. The shavings don't curl - they lay pretty flat and don't hold together well. Hard to describe. I'd take a picture but I planed mine all last night to get them smooth and already tossed the shavings. Plus I lost my camera about 8 months ago. :(

I make my castile with milk and it's a bit sticky for several months. This soap is about a month old and so still sticky. The shavings don't curl - they lay pretty flat and don't hold together well. Hard to describe. I'd take a picture but I planed mine all last night to get them smooth and already tossed the shavings. Plus I lost my camera about 8 months ago. :(

A milky castille. I bet that is one heck of a nice soap after a good cure!:)

TAS,

Hi there, Love the curles.

Do you ever have trouble with the curles causing air holes in your soap - or does the soap you pour over the curles just fill in all the gaps??

Thanks much, Vanessa

Thanks Vanessa,

What I do to avoid air holes is this:

1. mix your oils, eos and any additives and stick blend well.

2. add your curls and hand stir.

3. add your lye and continue to hand stir until you get a light trace.

4. pour all into mold.

5. wait for your surprise when you unmold.

TAS