ls + mp = wow!

Ruina

This came up in a thread where some people add the "doctor's" liquid castile to their mp for more bubbles & lather. Since I had just made a batch of my own ls, I decided to see for myself. All I can say is WOW! Huge bubbles, lots of foamy lather. I've been adding shaving base to my batches and I'm definitely switching to adding ls instead.

yep it works great, I read about that trick online somewhere and tried it once, now every bar I make has a little ls added. I feel good about adding it, as it is real soap and you only need a tiny bit to make a huge difference.

while I realize that soap does not have to be labeled, I still label. And though I've done this for my personal use, I've never sold any soap with ls added, as I have no clue how to label the finished product. To avoid putting the info about the ls 'on' is wrong. Yet figuring out where the different %'s will factor would be near impossible.

Am I the only one caught in this ethical issue?

what exactly is the doctors ls? Is this Dr. Bonners liquid soap?:confused: Where do you get it? Is it all natural? Thanks.

I purchased Dr. Bronners at my local grocery store a while back when I decided to cut chemicals out of my household cleaning. You can use it in many ways. I may just try it in my melt and pour after reading this thread. :) If you can't find it at your local grocery store, try a store like Whole Foods, I know they have it but it may be a little more expensive there. You can also purchase it online.

while I realize that soap does not have to be labeled, I still label. And though I've done this for my personal use, I've never sold any soap with ls added, as I have no clue how to label the finished product. To avoid putting the info about the ls 'on' is wrong. Yet figuring out where the different %'s will factor would be near impossible.

Am I the only one caught in this ethical issue?

Isn't 1 tablespoon per pound of fragrance oil about 3% ?

Information I've seen states.... When labeling your product, additives incorporated at 3% should be listed after Glycine Soja (Soybean) Protein... (at least for the type of melt and pour I use).

Ruina states that she uses about 1/2 tsp per 4 ounces which would be 2 tsp per pound.

So if you use 1 tablespoon of fragrance oil per pound wouldn't you list the ingredients for the castile soap after fragrance?

The ingredients for Dr Bronners unscented castile soap are...

water, saponified organic coconut & organic olive oils (w/retained glycerin), organic hemp oil, organic jojoba oil, citric acid, vitamin E.

Would you list all that after the fragrance? Or.... besides being organic, some of those ingredients are already in the melt and pour base.... so would you only list the ingredients that are not already in the base(for example hemp and jojoba oil) after fragrance? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Please let me know if I'm completely wrong... I have just started working with mp 4 months ago (newbie).

I don't do anything product wise without weighing it. So I have no clue what a teaspoon 'weighs' in product. I know it wouldn't be much, but as I never use anything but a scale...

anything less than 1% by weight can be listed in any order. But if the ingredients in the ls (and I don't use the doctor's...) combine with the ingredients previously used, it could change the order. See what I mean? I guess you could go 'may contain up to 3% liquid soap' and then list the liquid soap ingredients. But wow, that works in quite a label, doesn't it?

Maybe I'm the only person who worries about such, LOL.

I don't do anything product wise without weighing it. So I have no clue what a teaspoon 'weighs' in product. I know it wouldn't be much, but as I never use anything but a scale...

anything less than 1% by weight can be listed in any order. But if the ingredients in the ls (and I don't use the doctor's...) combine with the ingredients previously used, it could change the order. See what I mean? I guess you could go 'may contain up to 3% liquid soap' and then list the liquid soap ingredients. But wow, that works in quite a label, doesn't it?

Yes, that would really be quite a label. :smiley2:

My question is... since I am new to adding extras to my mp... when they state where to list ingredients at 3%, that would be by weight then?

Thanks

Not to totally hijack the thread, but K, nice avatar! I love Totoro :)

Information I've seen states.... When labeling your product, additives incorporated at 3% should be listed after Glycine Soja (Soybean) Protein... (at least for the type of melt and pour I use).

Ruina states that she uses about 1/2 tsp per 4 ounces which would be 2 tsp per pound.

So if you use 1 tablespoon of fragrance oil per pound wouldn't you list the ingredients for the castile soap after fragrance?

water, saponified organic coconut & organic olive oils (w/retained glycerin), organic hemp oil, organic jojoba oil, citric acid, vitamin E.

Would you list all that after the fragrance? Or.... besides being organic, some of those ingredients are already in the melt and pour base.... so would you only list the ingredients that are not already in the base(for example hemp and jojoba oil) after fragrance? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Please let me know if I'm completely wrong... I have just started working with mp 4 months ago (newbie).

How much do you add per pound? Do you use the unscented baby mild type?

Thanks

In the Essentials by Catalina thread about their m&p soap, someone said 1/2 T makes incredible lather.

I was in Target today looking for this and found what I think you're talking about. I'm guessing that's the one everyone else is using.

In the Essentials by Catalina thread about their m&p soap, someone said 1/2 T makes incredible lather.

I was in Target today looking for this and found what I think you're talking about. I'm guessing that's the one everyone else is using.

Thanks for the info. :smiley2:

Is this the one you all use to add? Need to order from them and it will be free shipping.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=192081&catid=144413

Yeah, I think the most easiest way to do it is to add the ls as 'one' ingredient but in parenthesis you can list what's in that. I've seen things labeled like that before and it doesn't stop me from buying it. What's actually inside does, but not the amount of ingredients. :) But I totally get where you're coming from about how much to fit on that label.

If you make your own ls, I'm sure you could make something simple that makes large bubbles and have it be less ingredients too.

Anyhow, never tried adding ls to mp. Interesting idea! I am going to have to try it!!!