hydrogenated soy? anyone use it?

dogmom1

hi,

last minute i've decided to get a few things from southern soapers in addition to small amounts of a couple of SFIC bases. i see they carry hydrogenated soy and don't remember seeing it in the posts i read. it says it hardens soap. can it be added to M&P? the site doesn't specify and i sure don't know!

tia,

eileen

hi,

last minute i've decided to get a few things from southern soapers in addition to small amounts of a couple of SFIC bases. i see they carry hydrogenated soy and don't remember seeing it in the posts i read. it says it hardens soap. can it be added to M&P? the site doesn't specify and i sure don't know!

tia,

eileen

I can't imagine it doing much of anything except killing your lather......I would think the soy and the lye monster (CP) would have to meet.

Hydrogenated soy is a vegetable oil, so you can't use much if any in M&P. It can make a hard soap when it's saponified with lye.

A number of suppliers carry hydrogenated soy, candle suppliers in particular. Golden Brands 402, 415 and 416 are commonly sold as soy wax. Those are in order of increasing hydrogenation, with greater hydrogenation (higher melt point) corresponding to a harder result in CP/HP soaping.

There are a number of additives you can use to harden your M&P soap if thats what you're looking for.

I use olive oil and coconut oil. About 1 tsp of each to 1 lb of base.

Another is beeswax. I don't use it but I know others do with great success. You can ask how much they use.