Poured My Very First Batch, Have questions

Well I poured my very first batch this morning to see how this candle making goes. I melted app. two pounds of paraffin wax and poured at 140. I managed pouring a grubby candle, some cinnamon buns, 6 tarts, 2 cookies, and 2 mini cupcakes. That was about at 9:30 am. I noticed some of the middles are sinking in. Now is this one of the reasons for a heat gun as to reheat the tops and repour? I do not have a heat gun yet but I can see I will need one. Also how long do you leave the wax in the molds?

That experience was quite fun indeed and now my basement smells like coffee. :)

Hello and welcome! I am new too so I will help the best I can..

The sinking in the middle is from the shrinkage of the paraffin. I have not used a heat gun during this part of the process... i just heat the remaining wax to about 10 degrees hotter than the first temp you poured, and pour in to fill the cavity in the middle.... after you poke relief holes of course. You need to poke holes around the middle near the wick.. but not all the way down the candle.. just enough to let some of the trapped air out. Then do your repour, and let it cool. Some waxes you may have to do this upwards of 3 or 4 times, just depends on what wax you are using. :)

As far as when to take them out of hte molds, when they are completely cool to the touch, is my best suggestion.

Others are much more experienced and may be able to help more.. but there's my 2 cents! :) HTH

Happy candlemaking! And congrats on your first candles!

I'm not sure what wax you are using but I never do repours on melts. I would be worried about seam lines. A little sunk in in the middle isn't going to matter that much. As far for sink holes in pillars, I never use a heat gun. I just do repours like Firestarter said but never pour above your original pour line. You'll end up with seam lines or the chance of the wax spilling and dripping down the sides of the pillar where it has separated from the mold during cooling.

I am so impatient I went to the craft store and bought a slab of wax which they said it was paraffin. I did purchase some ky parasoy wax which i hope is good for tarts and such, it just has not arrived thus far.

This is just a test run per say ... i dont want to mess us my good wax :)