How much money...

spagirl2156

Hello,

Im new to this forum. Im looking at starting a homemade spa product business. Plain and simple Im curious what people have made selling there products part time and full time. I have looked all over the internet and in book stores and cant seem to find many answers. Any answers would be greatly appretiated!!

By the way..If this helps with your answers...I will be doing this full time for a full time income.

Thanks!

I don't mean to rain on your parade, and please don't take this as me being mean, but I think you need to slow down...ALOT!

Learn one thing first and perfect it.. then learn something else and perfect it.

This is by far NOT a cheap hobby... nor one that you can make successful overnight.

PLEASE research, read whatever. Then research and read more.

What you do, will reflect on every one of us that have spent YEARS and LOTSA $$ perfecting what we do!

When you do get done with your learning/testing phase a year or so from now and are ready to begin researching how to run a soaping biz the one thing to remember is to keep it simple at first. It is soooo easy to overextend yourself by trying to have too many scents/products in your line. I know this from experience! :tiptoe: Make sure you do proper research and testing and take your time. Bacteria can grow even in products made from bases if not prepared properly. You sure don't want to hurt anyone or get sued! Good luck on your new venture though. It's alot of fun! :smiley2:

I think that most people here will tell you how much it costs to start! Making it profitable, well that can take a while~ years. I have been making soap and jewelry for 7 years. I have spent well over 7 grand.

When people say test, they mean it. When you find a recipe for soap you like, and it works, that doesn't mean the testing is over. Soap can get DOS (dreaded orange spot) and your batch will be ruined.

Lotion needs lab testing, hands down.

But all in all, I think the amount you can make is limitless. Depends how you advertise, word of mouth, craft fairs and markets, internet sales, home parties, and impressionable product.

Not an easy thing to do, but good luck with your venture!

Well, I only do this part time as a hobby while I work fulltime. I tend to spend more on supplies and keep accumulating things the more I sell. I need to get myself under control I guess. I love doing this and I was planning on doing it fulltime when I retire in five years. I spent well over $6000 in the past year on R&D. Luckily I received an oil lease check which I promptly spend on supplies. :laugh2: But I sure can't make as much as I earn now so I keep working. I think it will make a nice supplemental income when I retire.

I have been working on my business for 3 years now. I retired from my full time job after 28 years. I make soy candles, tarts and lotions. I invested thousands of dollars with my start-up. Any dollars I make at this point I put right back into my business, my company is slowly growing but as others have said and I agree it is better to take it slowly. I have read where people jump in and try to grow too quickly and they end up in debt and in financial trouble. Read everything you can get your hands on about starting up a business, always test your products to make sure they are the best you can make. Ask your family members and friends to be your testers and let them give you their honest feedback on your products before you even start selling. My family and friends love testing my products :cheesy2: It takes time and money to get your products on the market and I honestly can say at this time I couldn't live off what I make but feel that putting the money back in to the business is the best thing for me right now. You need to build up your customer base and give them the best product so they will continue buying from you. Good luck with your venture.

We're suppose to make money at this?? Like bring in more than I spend? Really? And here I was beginning to think maybe it was just a very, very expensive hobby! LOL j/k of course.

Once you've spent literally thousands of dollars and thousands of hours (and that's on the low end of the estimate) in R&D, once you've come up with your packaging and marketing techniques to attract a customer base- word of mouth advertising is great, but it might not be enough and advertising is EXPENSIVE!!!, you'll need to make sure you have insurance in place. If you plan on running this business out of your home, you'll need to make sure you HOI knows and approves or if you rent, that your landlord approves. And don't forget to get registered and licensed in your state to do business cause the tax man will cometh.

I've had my herbal product business for 20 years now. I have also been teaching for as many years. I have taught over 3,000 people how to make soap. I also teach herbal medicine workshops, wild plant identification and apprenticeship programs. It's been my full time day job for years now and it pays the bills, keeps food on the table and a roof over my head. And keeps the business running. It's the combination of the two (products and teaching) that keeps me afloat each year. If I was to just sell products.......I don't know.

I see people over the years who have taken a class or two from me and immediately go into "business." I see them go out of business just as fast. Taking a quick workshop or course or having glazed eyes from looking at internet forums for hours does not make a business. It takes a long time to become solvent.

I have spent thousands of dollars in R & D over the years and each year spend more because what people want changes from year to year. AND because I sometimes change my formulas to improve them. Yes, I have my standard products that I have been selling for years, but to keep in business I have had to be able to be flexible and offer new products. In fact, people ask me all the time....what do you have new this year?

Take the time to gain experience making the products you want to sell for at least a year before running out and getting a business license and jumping in the sellers' pool. Get comfortable with your formulas, packaging and labeling.

If you make something without enough research and end up hurting someone....do you want to give up your home or possessions to pay for their medical bills when you get sued?