Tart Newbie

Bevvy

Hi Guys. I have just started making tarts/melts and need help.

After letting the tarts rest for 4 days I deceided to melt one.

First I use Ecosoya Pillar Blend. The melt started melting after 2 minutes. And the whole thing was melted after 14 mins??? Is this normal? Do I continue burning until nothing is left??:undecided

Thanks

Bev

Thanks Ring of Fire.

No, I am totally a Newbie at this:embarasse . I don't think I put enough Fragrance in. You can just smell the chocolate. So I will just add more next time and see what happens.

Could I remelt the ones I have already made (they are coloured also) and add the fragrance again eg. instead of 20 drops add 25??.

Should I wait for the wax to cool and through out in the garbage.

Thanks

Hi Jess05. I am using EcoSoya Pillar Blend. I used 190grams of wax (they come in flakes). with 1 colour chip and 20 drops of F.O. I poured at 60 degrees. I am going by what the supplier said. Does this sound right. I am going to try 25 drops next time to get a better fragrance. Or is the pouring temp wrong.

Hi Jess05. I am using EcoSoya Pillar Blend. I used 190grams of wax (they come in flakes). with 1 colour chip and 20 drops of F.O. I poured at 60 degrees. I am going by what the supplier said. Does this sound right. I am going to try 25 drops next time to get a better fragrance. Or is the pouring temp wrong.

Hey Bevvy! I also use Ecosoya Pillar Blend and have awesome luck with it :)

Hows your scent throw for your tarts?

Jessica :)

What supplier told you to use drops of FO? I would call them and give them a what for. That's the dumbest thing I've heard yet. And the pouring temp is like 140 or close to it I believe.

How much wax is 190 grams. I am too lazy to look it up. You probably need 1 and 1/2 ounces per pound with that wax. Maybe you could get by with 1 ounce for some fragrances.

I am guessing that Bevvy is not in the US, since she mentioned grams. Since 60*C = 140*F, she is pouring at the right temp based on her supplier's information.

As for the drops, maybe that's a difference due to location as well?

I don't think you're using enough fragrance. You want to use about 5%.

If you're melting 190 grams of wax you'll want to add at least 9.5 grams of fragrance oil. You can weigh your fragrance just like you do your wax.

You don't have to wait until a tart is completely burned up to replace or change out. Some warmers you can easily pop them out and with some I have to warm up to get the wax out. I either pour it directly into the trash or you can pour into a little paper cup which you can peel away and reuse the wax another time. While your warmer is still warm you can clean up any remaining wax with a paper towel.

Hi everyone. I'm an Aussie. And this is the only site where I have been able to receive help from :yay: . Everyone else is into Soap Making.

I will give your measurements a go for the Fragrance and see what happens. I went to the Markets and brought some to test out and WOW her Fragrance you could smell from Mars.

None of my friends are into smelly things so it is a bit hard to test with people. Would anyone be game to give mine a try? I don't mind sending to the U.S.

Just curious as to what the markets are?

Id recommend starting at using 1oz of oil per pound of wax, and see how that works, as opposed to drops ( im not sure how many drops of oil are in a oz)

Your friends are crazy, who doesnt like things that smell awesome in their houses, LOL?!

Hope some of this helps,

Jessica

Jess05. They are handmade markets. I will give it another go and let you all know.

Thanks from a little bit stressed aussie.

Is this the place you buy your fragrance oils!?

Dont be stressed....you def. want to have fun while doing it :) Your def. gonna have to test, but once you have made awesome scented tarts you'll be so happy :)

Jessica

YEH:yay: :yay: :yay: . I MADE A NICE SMELLING CHOCOLATE TART THE SECOND TIME ROUND. I MEASURE THE FRAGRANCE OIL BUY DROPS SO I ADDED 10 MORE THAN NORMAL. SOME OF THIS BATCH CRACKED ON TOP BUT THAT IS OKAY, AS I'M TRYING TO GET MY SMELL RIGHT FIRST.

I MADE SOME THIS TIME WITH NO COLOUR BUT USED MONKEY FARTS FRAGRANCE. FINGERS CROSSED.

MERRY CHRISTMAS:smiley2:

YEH:yay: :yay: :yay: . I MADE A NICE SMELLING CHOCOLATE TART THE SECOND TIME ROUND. I MEASURE THE FRAGRANCE OIL BUY DROPS SO I ADDED 10 MORE THAN NORMAL. SOME OF THIS BATCH CRACKED ON TOP BUT THAT IS OKAY, AS I'M TRYING TO GET MY SMELL RIGHT FIRST.

I MADE SOME THIS TIME WITH NO COLOUR BUT USED MONKEY FARTS FRAGRANCE. FINGERS CROSSED.

MERRY CHRISTMAS:smiley2:

I hope the scent throw is nice :) I made monkey fart tarts last week :) Did they crack, because you tried to take them out of the mold too soon?!

Good luck!

Also, why dont you measure the oil by ounces so you know exactly how much fragrance oil you are putting in per pound of wax...i think that will def. help with accuracy of your tarts.

Thanks! Merry Christmas to you as well :)

Jessica

Hi Jessica. just burnt my monkey farts and I'm not quite sure about the smell of it (My Hubbie said it's good). They started to crack that night whilst still in the mould.

My scales aren't working right at the moment:( . So I have measure by cups for the wax and using a dropper to measure the F.O. I'm buying a new one after Xmas.

I started to look at the scent page but there isn't any suppliers from Australia on there but I will keep looking and reading.

Where do you buy your scents from.

Bev

Hi Jessica. just burnt my monkey farts and I'm not quite sure about the smell of it (My Hubbie said it's good). They started to crack that night whilst still in the mould.

My scales aren't working right at the moment:( . So I have measure by cups for the wax and using a dropper to measure the F.O. I'm buying a new one after Xmas.

I started to look at the scent page but there isn't any suppliers from Australia on there but I will keep looking and reading.

Where do you buy your scents from.

Bev

Hey Bev!

If you dont notice the scent, it could be candle nose....or allow the tart to cure a few days and test to see how the scent throw is ....

Oh no , yeah you need a good working scale to get accurate measurements.

Oh no suppliers in Australia?! Hmm....maybe there are people here from there that can help you. I think a lot of people here, have their supplies shipped from the United States.

I get my scents all over, I have had lots of luck with many places...some are...Candle Science...Millcreek....there are others. Maybe when you are able to search the classifieds, someone may be selling a good fragrance oil lot, and it would give you a good chance to test different oils from different suppliers.

Wheww just realized I wrote a novel :P

Hope this helps some,

Jessica

Isn't monkey farts a fruity banana type scent? Some scents just don't work well in soy or are not as strong. Ecosoya PB is an great wax for a beginner. It has great H&C throw. Have fun with your tarts!

And do get a scale as soon as you can. If you are gonna keep making tarts you'll want to get used to measuring in ounces or even grams.