Need Help With Tart Warmers

Alajane

I was so thrilled to get a dozen of the coffee cup tart warmers from the last co-op, so I opened one to test last night before I give them as Christmas gifts (packaging all planned out in my mind). Good thing I did! I lit a tealight under a burgundy-colored mulberry-scented tart, in the room with DH, and I went on into the candle room to finish up some orders. I walked through there about an hour later and said it smells like something's burning. It was the tart--smoking, no GOOD scent left, only burned wax scent, and what was really strange to me was that the wax was colorless!!

I got another tart from the same package and put it in a bowl on my candle warmer and it worked fine (and kept its color). So evidently the melt area got so hot from the tealight it burned off the scent AND the color! Does anyone know what kind of tealights won't get too hot. I know these warmers must work okay because I've seen posts on here too many times about them for them not to work. DH said I might need to make my own tealights, but I don't want to do that! I know people in this area won't pay what it would cost for a hand-poured tealight--even just covering my costs would be more than the ones from the dollar stores. Plus I have no idea if they would be any cooler since I've never done those.

Help!!! TIA,

Jane

a couple of ideas...

was the wick on the t-light trimmed or long? The cheapie t-lights are pretty inconsistent

OR perhaps some type of residue on the warmer? either underneath or in the bowl?

just brainstorming, I've never used the warmers. Maybe try another one with the same batch of tarts and see what happens?

You know I did a lot of testing with the tea light warmers the smaller the warmer the hotter it gets the Fo from tart burns off faster so they do not last as long as they would in a taller tea light warmer and not as long in a electric warmer they last a lot longer and can hold a lot more wax at not such a high temperature. Make sure you use the smaller tea lights then the ones they have at kmart they are a tad little taller then most. I hope that that helps. The wax in the coffee cup warmer in 10 minutes got to 239 degrees F and keeps going up and that is with palm wax in the electric warmers I get about 190 degrees F.

Wow--239 degrees is hot!! I haven't had a chance to get any more tealights, so I dug around and found some that looked different from what I had tried. I tested again with the different tealights and had a good scent throw without the burning scent--I need to try tonight and check the temperature, though. Thanks for that idea.

Unfortunately, I don't know where I got the "good" tealights--I had taken them out of the package. Someone suggested Wal-Mart tealights and I need to go there this afternoon, so I'll get one package to check out before I buy a bunch.

Thanks for your help, everybody!

Jane

• 6 months later...