Cracking in Soy

I made my first 100% Soy candle today in an 8 oz JJ. I used a CD-8 wick. I put in 1/4 tsp of FO (French Vanilla from JS) and 1 drop of Dye (Ivory). It seems to be setting up well, except for a small crack on the top. I know Soy is prone to this, but I was just wondering what the cause of this is. I melted 6oz of Soy in the microwave for about 5 minutes. It was around 225 degrees when all was completely melted. I added the dye and FO at 170 degrees and poured at 125 degrees. I poked relief holes and did a second pour. Should I have done that???? Any suggestions? I'm a newbie!!:P

Paula

For one thing that is a really high temp to get soy up to. Most manufacturers say don't go over 200, and with my experience even that is too high. Using a double boiler method would be better than the microwave, to help regulate your temp.

You can heat gun the tops to get rid of small cracks, but then you may get an uneven surface or some frosting. Soy can be a funny product to work with. It seems something will always pop up once you've solved some of your other issues.

Overheating soy will also cause it to have air bubbles, which often don't respond well to heat guns. Cracking sometimes happens from pouring too hot. I don't remember if you mentioned which wax you use. Most soys do best when heated up to about 170-180, and poured when slushy, when it is just starting to get a little thickness when you stir it in the pot. There are a few that you can pour warmer. Hope that helps.

...saw the temp thing and literally gasped!

I also use a microwave on occasion, and I never, never go over 200...I try to stay around 180 if adding dyes, other than that...155-160.

I think it does cause more air bubbles, but I let it sit still to cool, and after I pour, I tap the jar on the cutting board to push any air bubbles to the top.

Sounds to me like you are trying to make one jar at a time....? I wondered why.

Be careful with those temps...we don't want to hear of anyone getting injuried.

Best Wishes,

Fern-Marie