FO in Soy compared to Paraffin

pjm

Wish I could give you insight on this. I don't do soy , just parrafin.. I know that people love soy because its "enviromental friendly" but I just cant seem to get into it. I personally have bought soy candles and I dont like them nearly as much as I like regular parrafin.. But that is IMO

Christina

I started out using soy and used it for about a year, then switched to paraffin. You can use the same amount of FO in either of the waxes. You always have to wick higher than you would with paraffin though and not every scent will throw well in soy...but a lot do. You just need to find ones that do and then stick with them.

Well, the first candles I ever made were soy, and that was about a year and a half ago...they were crusty, cracked, scentless flops. I immediately went to paraffin...loved the way it performed for me. Now that I have more knowledge under my belt, I've ordered some soy again, and will try my hand at it this week with some sample oils I'm getting from JS on Monday, with full knowledge of how different the soy candle-making world is from paraffin.

To be honest, when I smell paraffin and soy candles in shops and stores, I find many of the soy brands to have stronger cold throws than the paraffins. I think the trick, as others have said, is to find oils potent enough that will throw well in soy...most reputable companies now test in both waxes, and will elaborate honestly with their customers which oils work well in soy. If you find the right oils, it probably isn't necessary to add a higher % than you would with the same oil in paraffin. Personally, I think heavy scents with cinnamon, bakery notes, and outdoorsy scents throw well in soy...I had a bit more trouble with the lighter florals and perfumey types.