sample a votive

Hey group.....I'd like to buy a votive or two from someone on here that has a great vanilla. I'm having trouble getting what I feel is a good throw from them. I guess I'd like to sample someone elses that has a good throw just for comparison sake. I don't want to sell a weak votive and get a bad name for myself. I keep hearing about the single votive that fills the room when it's not lit. Mine definitely don't do this. Anybody up for helping out?

Thanks, Chris

I agree with Breanna, a swap is a great way to try out alot of different votives. Or should I say see how different wax, fos, & wicks burn. You may or may not recieve a vanilla, but I'm sure you'll receive some scents that you've never smelled before. Another bonus is we have some very creative people on this board and you'll recieve some creative candles.

However, I think it's a very tall order to expect a single votives cold throw to fill a room. In some cases, it's a tall order to expect a lit one to. It really depends on the scent (some fos are formulated to have a light scent, so this doesn't mean it's a bad fo or poorly made candle) and the size of the room. For example when I was burning one of my votives (peaks french vanilla) you could smell it great through most of my house, after burning for about 2-3 hours, but I have a very small house. My SIL burned one from the same batch in her basement and one in her livingroom. Her house is huge and has an open floorplan. The basement, though big for a basement, its much smaller than the upstairs, plus she had a couple of the doors closed down there. Well when she told me how they burned she raved about the one she burned in the basement, but complained about the one she burned upstairs. Saying that she could smell it in the livingroom and into the kitchen, but it was faint, and that the one downstairs (the basement) hit ya on the stairs and smelled incredible.

You minght do a search here on vanilla. It's been discussed a lot since most everyone has trouble finding a good one with a strong throw. There seems to be 2 or 3 that stand above the rest, but I don't remember which they are. Sampling someone else's votive may not help you all that much. Not only will pouring/mixing conditions change the outcome, unless you use the exact same wax, wick and can exactly duplicate the way they made it, the FO they used may not work for you.

Sampling someone else's votive may not help you all that much. Not only will pouring/mixing conditions change the outcome, unless you use the exact same wax, wick and can exactly duplicate the way they made it, the FO they used may not work for you.

I don't want to copy someone elses work, I just want to compare a good one with mine to see if I'm on the right track. Formula doesn't matter, purely checking for scent throw.......Chris

I don't want to copy someone elses work, I just want to compare a good one with mine to see if I'm on the right track. Formula doesn't matter, purely checking for scent throw.......Chris

That was my point. Scent throw is based on formula. Someone else's vanilla votive may have an awesome throw. You buy some and put it into your wax. It may have no throw at all.

Ohh, I think I see. You're wanting to see if the FO you're using already is strong...

That was my point. Scent throw is based on formula. Someone else's vanilla votive may have an awesome throw. You buy some and put it into your wax. It may have no throw at all.

Ohh, I think I see. You're wanting to see if the FO you're using already is strong...

sort of...want to see if my product is crap or not! lol

I know what you mean Chris. After I started making candles, I went to the local candle factory & bought a couple just to see if my throw was up to par. Was thrilled to discover that my throw trailed thru the house better than the '''professional''' ones.

Just a note on burning candles in the basement: the scent will automatically rise. A friend has a tri-level house, burns the votives I make for her on the kitchen counter on the 2nd level and the scent fills the upper level of the house beautifully. If she burns the votives on the upper level, it's hard to smell them.

I recently bought a Renuzit air freshener candle just to see how well it worked. The candle itself was a very well-constructed miniature chunk pillar, but I didn't get the scent throw I was expecting...especially for a Renuzit product.

I wish I could make a pillar that looked even half as nice as this one, though.