So Many Ingredients in Face Products

8-GRAN-ONES

I usually start with listing the ingredients and researching what the heck they are all for. Then I look at the list and analyze it to find out what the active ingredients are. Those are the main things to focus on IMO. You will find commercial products have several diferent emulsifiers or thickeners or filler products. I usually look at lotioncrafter.com and theherbarie.com to get an idea on a similar recipe with less ingredients I could incorporate those actives into.

Anyway, thats how I start. It ends up being trial and error, but I d find it helpful to know what ingredients are necessary (active ingredients) and which culd be subbed or left out.

HTH

Jess

I usually start with listing the ingredients and researching what the heck they are all for. Then I look at the list and analyze it to find out what the active ingredients are. Those are the main things to focus on IMO. You will find commercial products have several diferent emulsifiers or thickeners or filler products.

I also like to do this. Once you look up the ingredients you find many are just thickeners and emulsifiers. A girl from work wanted me to make some Lovespell lotion like VS. When I read the ingredients it was pretty much mineral oil with a bunch of thickeners. When you do your research you'll find you can make the product much more simply.

I agree, store bought stuff is mostly thickening agents or conditioning agents, or additives that allow a more even application. However, you should be able to get most of these qualities with natural oils alone.

My facial cream has about 7 different oils in it, and each one is key!!! There are some good oils out there that truley soften, repair, and tighten the skin. You can even find ones that are light enough for the face, fast absorbing and dont clog or irritate the skin.

For a basic day time moisturizer, use Jojoba, Hazelnut, grapeseed as your base oils. These are very light, fast absorbing and the jojoba is most comparison to your own sebum. Hazelnut tightens pours and grapeseed regenerates cells.

Add some rosehip for a Vitamin A boost or some evening promrise for extra moisturizing. Also a bit of EMU is even safe for the face and is the most excellent repairing oil. Calendula oil has also been used for softening and repairing the skin, such as from scaring or sun damage. Becareful when purchasing, because some are made by infusing soybean oil or olive oil, which IMO are not the best on the face. you can also find calendula extract, which is in its pure form and would be used as an additive, such as vitamin e. Or another way to add calendula to your recipe, is to steep the petals in a tea and use the tea as the water portion in your recipe. Be sure to strain well with cheese cloth and use a little extra preservative.

Other ingrediants to help with applications worn under make up or out in the sun, are modified corn starch to help set your makeup and absorb any extra oil, and Iron Oxides are used for UV protection.

I recently made a lovely face serum and used eight oils. Oils only. No additives whatsoever. And it's fantastic. I researched each oil's properties and used only those that I thought would enhance the product. It is mostly for my own use but I did give some to a good friend who has truly problem skin and it did wonders for her. Don't need all that filler stuff for a remarkable product.