Cotton Wicks - Peaks, and in general

I've poured a few 2.5" containers using Peaks cotton wicks. I used CBA soy so its an easier to burn soy. Four of them were 65, 70, 75 and the 80. On the first burn, yesterday, The 65 was not hot enough and the 80 was too hot (burned good, but too deep of a meltpool too fast, so I wouldn't feel comfortable burning it too long). So, I took them out of the running and was left with a 70 and 75. Now, BOTH of these got an almost full meltpool in about 1.5 to 2 hours, I let them go and had an decent but not too deep depth on the meltpool. I thought either wick may be the one to choose. Mushrooming was MUCH less than I remember using my older cottons of about 2 years ago and the burn was actually really nice and steady with a good flame size.

Now the wierd part. I trimmed them using my wick trimmer which automatically leaves 1/4". This time it actually left a little less it looked like for some reason - don't know whay - maybe I angled it too much because they were on a mantle. So, now its been TWO hours and I still don't have a full MP (I'd day about 1/3" inch away for the edge), whereas yesterday I had an end to end MP in about two hours and for the rest of the night had a REALLY good burn with a nice even 1/4" MP or a little deeper. I was really pleased with the burns.

All FOUR remainging testers are exhibiting this problem now so I'm wondering if I just really cut them too short. I'm just wondering if cottons are more finicky than say LXs if cut even the least little bit too short. It seems odd that I got such good burns yesterday and today did not. Its not like its that much deeper into the container - maybe 1/2 to 3/4".

If you used these wick sizes (or cottons in general) I'd love to hear your experience. Thanks!

You're convinced this phenomenon is limited to the cotton wicks? One problem with CBA is its tendency to dip in the middle. I've been finding that to be a real annoyance because it can affect wick performance greatly and complicate testing. I think if I hit it slightly with a heat gun between tests it would literally change the wicking.

I have a real life demonstration going right this moment. Two wide containers double-wicked the same way with CBA and CB-135. There's not a huge difference in viscosity between these waxes and the flames near the beginning of the test were comparable. However, for most of the test the CB-135 flames have been twice the size. You can clearly see that the wicks are sticking further out from the melt pool.

Henry,

I noticed here lately that my cotton wicks or my MC 100% soy wax are not working well for me either. First burn is great, second burn starts to tunnel. I haven't been able to pour any candles cause I am trying to figure this out. I just swiched cases of wax and I thought that it was the wax. Or just me??? I hope we can figure this out because you are not alone.

Perhaps it is the wax. This happened with soy waxes about this time last year. Many of us noticed that our wax was not burning as normal. It was very frustrating. Many called the manufacturers and sent their waxes back. From what I understand, that is the problem with soy waxes - they differ from batch to batch. I guess that is a good idea to always test from each new batch.

I have not noticed a dip in mid-burn with the LX wicks at all. I'm hoping I just cut them too short. I wouldn't mind a dip in midburn - but it seems I'm going to get the tunnelling Ree mentioned unless I power burn them - and I NEVER had to do this before.

I noticed Top you mentioned about 3% stearic - I used to use 2 but used three for these - but I can't believe that 1% extra would change the burn this much?

Anyway, I poured two more this moring with a brand new batch of CBA-2 and my usual 2% - which I've done many times before so I'll see what happens - if I get the same problem, I'll use the same formula and pour with my usual LXs and see what happens. And I'll also err on the side of caution with the trimming.

Thanks everyone.

I noticed Top you mentioned about 3% stearic - I used to use 2 but used three for these - but I can't believe that 1% extra would change the burn this much?
I compared 1% versus 5% and there was a distinct difference in the burn that might be one wick size under some circumstances or might not be. One percentage point wouldn't be noticeable though.

You're probably right about suspecting the initial length of the wick. That and the flatness of the top are essentially the same issue for practical purposes. Little little variations can make a big difference in the burn. It definitely complicates the design process when you realize that you aren't quite comparing apples to apples in different burn tests because some other variable has intruded.

Sounds like the wick is drowning.

Not in my case. The flame is there it just starts tunneling on the second burn and does not reach a full melt pool.

What used to work is not working anymore. I use 51C's in my JJ's and the two scents that I poured both tunneled after I opened a new box of wax.