Stand Mixer Recommendations on a limited budget

RNSandSCENTS

Well I have gotten up the nerve to attempt my first body butter. One thread I read that has me concerned talked about using a stand mixer vs a hand held, for obvious reasons. I have always wanted a KitchenAid Artisan stand mixer but I just cannot afford the $300 price tag right now. Is anyone using a less expensive stand mixer with great results? I found a Sunbeam Mixmaster for about $100 but I wanted to see if anyone else is using this one or if anyone had a suggestion of a different one before I bought it....TIA for your responses.*super banana*

I was gonna say Kitchen Aid. I have had one for 4 years now, but I only use it for baking (and love it). I even have the attachments for it for grinding, foodmill, and shredder (what kind of money that has saved me over the past year).

I made my first whipped butter about a month ago and just used my handmixer. It did take a bit longer, but still worked great and it was just an old junky one. Maybe you could find a great used one on a local classified or something or yardsale or goodwill?

Steph

Steph, I have a pretty good hand held. I was just scared a little that it would take so long that my arm would not be able to stand the process. But, I think I will just do the first batch with my hand held and see if I can do it without my arm dying. I am really not one to buy something if its not what I want so I guess I'll just save my pennies until I get enough for the Kitchen Aid.

Carrie, I am going to look on Amazon.com and see if they have one in purple....my kitchen is tuscany/grape themed!

Thanks for your help and input ladies!!!!

Guest jurnalynn

i use a mixmaster because thats what i have and its fine i would love a kitchenaid but i can't afford one now but my mixmaster is good enough for now i leave it going for quite a while and it doesn't seem to get hot

Laura

I actually used my hand mixer one day and boy what a mess! I thought I was going to blow it up and I only mixed for 10 minutes..I got pretty lucky though, I found a sunbeam mixmaster at my hairdressers (she goes to auctions and picks up all sorts of stuff then sells in her store) for only $4..She said only one of the beaters worked but when she tried it in the store they both worked..I made that whipped body frosting last weekend and mixed it for an hour, and boy it worked great!! I was about to get a brand new one when I came across that little gem..

I had a Sunbeam and burned it out in no time. It only lasted a few months. But now I've had my KA for a few years now and its still going strong. Oh and my KA is the cheap one. I wish I would have spent just a bit more when I bought the Sunbeam and gone with the KA in the first place.

If you are not in a rush to purchase one then I would suggest watching the prices of the KA mixers on Amazon. Around the holidays they tend to go on sale. Also they tend to be on sale at several places on black friday.

Thanks for the reminder about black friday. I'm in the market for a mixer... I'm tired of whipping by hand. haha I've eyed the sunbeam one, but wasn't sure how it would last. Looks like I need to start saving a little faster! :)

In the long run it is better to buy the KA. It will save you money overall. I had a Sunbeam as well and it burned up in 4 years of fairly heavy use. The KA does have a lifetime guarantee and you can get all kinds of attachments for it.

Got mine at Walymart for $189 around Christmas time about 3 years ago. Best money I ever spent. :yay:

A lifetime warranty? :shocked2: Okay, maybe I need to save my nickles, dimes and quarters along with my pennies then, huh?:yay:

At one time they may have had a lifetime, but the new ones have read about only have a 1 year warranty?!?!? From what I understand, if a KA develops problems during the first year they send a new one where some other manufacturers will just repair the one you have.

I had my kitchen aid for a little over a yr when some of the gears inside went bad. They wouldn't do anything for me. My husband finally tore it apart and we ordered parts and repaired it ourselves. I really like it, use it all the time for baking, but felt that kitchen aid should have at least paid for the parts. I was not impressed with their customer service.

I think the replacement policy does vary. I've looked on CraigsList and see that they KAs have sold for pretty reasonable prices. In the long run I think it would be better to have the KA and I am a little closer to what I need to buy one. Probably by the time the co op money is due I should have the rest. Thanks for all the great responses. I guess I should get ready for lots of product testing now....

Just in case anyone is still looking for a KA, they are on sale at Macy's for their One Day sale tomorrow. The 4.5 qt is on sale for $239 reg $300, I bought the Artisan 5 qt. I was excited because it is normally $399 and I was able to get it for $299!:yay: Too bad I could not use my coupon but I am still happy!

Edit: Looking back at my receipt, they did let me use the coupon so basically I it was 15% off, but, they gave me the coupon back????