? about Micas

8-GRAN-ONES

I used the Amethist Mica, from TKB, about 1/3 teasp to 1/2 cup of soap liquid. I hardly got any color at all, once it was in the soap..

Some of you that have used colors quite alot..could you give some pointers?

Maybe I need to use alot more of it?

Or maybe it is mostly used when you brush it on the top?

Help!!

I'm not a mica expert and I've used Mica's a few times and will tell you the way I use them.

For measuring the mica's I use two different types of scoops (either a .15cc scoop or a 1.25 cc one which is about 1/4tsp, I got both mine form the Sage but they only carry the smaller ones now).

Then I add my soap to my mica colour if I'm doing a swirl to a separate cup and would start with a 1/4 tsp amount. It all depends what your soap colour is to begin with (ie. if you used pomace olive oil, if you use titanium dioxide to whiten) and it depends on the colour of your mica if it's an intense or light shade. So I would add my 1/4 tsp mixed with a bit of oil to the half cup and stir (I like to soap at lower temps of 80 degrees so I have time to swirl etc.) and then add more mica mixed with oil if it isn't enough and I would swirl with that once I'm satisfied on colour. In your case 1/3 tsp wasn't enough so I would up it next time to maybe 1/2 or 3/4 of a tsp.

The colour will change if you do it in the oven or you gel your soap on a counter covered with blankets. To keep colours really true you can make soap in the fridge or freezer for 24 hours then take it out and let it sit for a day and then unmold. For me the fridge method is the best for keeping the colour similar to how it looked when I poured it.

Hope this helps but I'm sure others will weigh in. There probably is a typical ratio of how much mica to add per amount of soap but I always wing it and then try to remember to take notes.