lye purchase

FunFlames

I haven't price shopped too much yet. I was on the AAA Chemical site when I saw all the options and figured I'd get an amount first.

I am near Cleveland Oh. I am not sure if there is anyplace local. I think there is a place in the Columbus area, but to start out I don't really want a road trip. Once I get my feet wet I will have a better idea how much I would use (I hope).

Thank You

Danielle

Nothing wrong with AAA. Quick shipping for sure. SInce you're just getting your feet wet, how about 4 lbs of each? Gives you a chance to make a couple of batches. The 2 lbers would too depending on your size of batches. Then if you find you like it, get more. I just know 2 lbs wasn't enough for me. It was enough to get going though.

Lye lasts indefinitely if you keep it dry. Since the lye from AAA comes in sealed bottles (2 lbs in each bottle), this is not a problem. If you make your soap in small batches of say 2 lbs each, each bottle would make about 6 batches. If you make soap weekly, this would be a 6 week supply. If you can get at least 4 lbs of each (or even 8 lbs of each, since it isn't going to expire) then the price per pound would be lowered.

I found this place called Brainerd... if you buy 50lb of lye it is only 1.29lb. That seems like a steal. They have a place in OK and NC.... so I will check on the shipping from NC.

Seems like the place to buy it! The next best place I found is Camden Grey in FL.

Does it matter if it is flake or beads? I have seen both.

Have a great one

Danielle

I was at a small town IGA today shopping for a client. I was scanning the isle for something on the list and WALLA.... my eye stopped on the drain cleaner......I found 100% lye for 2.49 lb. I was so excited!! The brand is ROOTO, which I have not heard mentioned before, but it is 100% sodium hydroxide.

I found lye as low as 1.29lb but shipping was going to be 98.00 on the minimum 100lbs. I am just too excited! I am by this store a few times a week so it will be easy to get.

Just had to share

Danielle