Pillar Troubles

Asher

There is a reason I tend to focus my attention on votives. Simply put, they are easier to make. I've tried a few pillars here and there, but the waxes I've used always sink so much, and after about 3 re-pours I have no wax left to fill in the next crater that forms. Once the candle finally sets it is such an ordeal to extract it from the mold. Invariably, the edges of the mold scratch the surface as it's coming out. And then there's the issue of making sure the candle is level. The best procedure I can come up with involves melting away the bottom of the candle in a pot. Before I know it, I've melted away an inch of the candle because I can't seem to get the darn thing even on the bottom.

The pillar below doesn't show the scratches so much. I had used a different wax with this, so the mottling effect almost resembled flower petals in some spots. There were really no "snowflakes" with this one. Notice the pour lines near the bottom of the candle. This particular specimen has been relegated to a mantle that is several feet away from the nearest sitting area. It looks quite nice from a distance.

pillar.jpg

Not to fret. We've all had problems with levelling I'm sure. First off, are you poking relief holes as the pillars set up, very important step. OK, assuming you do, when I have one that totally sucks, I get out my hack saw and mitre box and cut some off the damn thing. THEN, I take my trusty angle iron 3x3x6 inches, set it in a pot on the stove with a paper towel in the bottom, hold the candle tightly against the angle iron and zippo, "IT'S LEVEL" Hope this helps a little bit.

• Like 1

I do poke the relief holes in. Just amazed how much the wax appears to shrink...pour after pour. I'm guessing this is a wax issue, though....like I'm probably using votive wax or something.

I have envisioned myself sawing off part of the candle, though I don't have the necessary tools to do this. And I don't even have an angle iron...but I do have a hammer and some screwdrivers. Would these help? :tongue2:

I have remedied my level issues by not making pillars for the time being. I think it's a sign that I'm supposed to stick with votives, though I have made one container candle:

container.jpg

No need to extract it from a mold, and no level issues. Heck, these might even be easier than votives!

Well, it looks like you have a little "fingernailing" going on there......

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4295&highlight=fingernail

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8124&highlight=fingernailing

Some people think it's "undesirable", and then there are some - like me - who really like the effect and think it looks really cool...... It just depends on which type of person you are........ :grin2:

I think your candle looks great - and that's a nice container too!

<---------- Try checking out the instructions for pillars over here (under Basic Instructions)

Asher, pillar wax does shrink a lot. Sounds like you may be doing your repours too soon, resulting in extra pours. You should not run out of wax if you are weighing out the correct amount of wax for that mold. Pillars are challenging, but well worth it. Keep plugging away!

e

I agree with e... you shouldn't need that many repours. Most likely it's not done cooling/shrinking when you do the repour. As for the lines at the bottom, it's kinda hard to see in the picture. Make sure that your repour never goes above the origional pour line though. If it does go higher, it will have a different finish that the origional pour.

I do think the "fingernailing" looks neat as well. The weird thing is that much of it showed up the day AFTER I had placed it on the mantle for display...as if it wasn't done cooling inside or something. I thought I had a magic candle :grin2:

I admit to being a tad impatient with the cooling duration, so I'm sure I was rushing the pours. I also think my wax was not a pillar blend.

Any ideas on how to extract the candle from the mold without completely destroying the surface? I used a seamless 6" x 4" pillar mold. I couldn't take it out evenly, no matter what I did, so one side would always make contact with the edge of the mold. I even tried freezing the darn thing and it was still an ordeal to extract.

I need to stick with containers and votives :P

That mottle in your photo is called fingernailing - a weirdness in the way the paraffin crystallizes that we can't quite settle on the cause of. Certain batches of wax seem to do that instead on mottling normally.

Under the General Information link on the left, there's a calculator for the weight of wax you need for a round mold. Enter the full size of the mold and you definitely won't run out. The amount of shrinkage isn't your issue so much as the way it's shrinking and your repour strategy.

An aluminum mold is intended for making a finished product half an inch shorter than the mold. You have to fill it up near the top on the first pour to ensure getting a full-sized candle without going over the first pour line. Hot wax over warm wax is a recipe for endless repours, so let it cool off completely before doing a 2nd pour at 195 or so. That should be all it takes.

If you go overboard with the relief holes or make a mottled candle, it doesn't shrink away from the sides as much and can be harder to demold. Wait several hours after you think it's cool. If necessary, put it in the fridge (NOT the freezer) for 1/2 hour, then warm the mold with your hands before trying again. Scratches can be a plague with these tight candles, so don't force them and deburr the molds if necessary.

I want to encourage you not to put the pillars aside entirely. I recommend you make a straightforward one to get a feel for how easy it can be. Put a few percent of Universal Additive in your wax along with scent and dye and you'll get a nice pillar with no difficulties.

Guest ShellyRobyn

Yoou shouldn't have a problem removing the candle from the mold as long as it's completely cool. If it's completely cool and appears that it's going to stick, I stick it in the fridge for a few rather than take chances of scratching it.

I don't know that what you are referring to as "pour lines" are really that since that normally occurs at the bottom (which will become the top) of the candle. I find this happens when I poke too close to the edge of the candle or poke to often and it disturbs the outer finish.

Just keep trying and don't get too discouraged!!!:smiley2:

On the unmolding... Top is right about using the whole mold. Whe I first bought molds, I bought 9" ones, thing I could make any size I wanted in a tall one. Not so! Every single time I made a 6" one in the 9" mold, it scratched the sides up. Also, the patience is crucial. If you have to pull the candle out, it will often scratch. Just curious, are you using wick pins? If so, pull it out before unmolding and make wure the wick hole is open to prevent the suction build up. Just trying to think of anything that might interfere with the unmolding....

You most likely are using a pillar wax, otherwise it wouldn't shrink that much. Or do you mean it's straight paraffin instead of a blend? Some additives can help with unmolding as well.

Oh, BTW, you can use a piece of pantyhose or nylons to polish off the marks if they're not deep. Just do it like shining shoes and don't use too much pressure. Also go in one direction, since it may leave a slight directional pattern behind.

Asher, for the unmolding, take Top's advice and wait longer, even the next day, and they should slide right out. Top, I do use the freezer, five minutes at a time if I have trouble on the first try.

e

I totally agree it works, but didn't want to suggest anything tricky. Many an unborn candle has lost its shot at life in the freezer.

With sufficient time in the fridge, the candle cools evenly and shrinks up. When you take it out and warm the mold in your hands, the mold expands and releases. If you forget about the candle it will probably still be a-ok.

I set the wick using something like an overgrown toothpick that sits at the top of the mold. The wick is tied to this toothpick thingy (can't think of the name for it) and threaded through a hole in the bottom of the mold. I seal the hole with a small screw and some mold sealer (i.e. putty).

When trying to release the candle I do notice that as soon as I remove the sealant and the screw the candle will start to come out. It gets my hopes up for a few seconds, then it just stops.

When I'm mentally prepared for it I'll try to do another one, this time with additives and more patience....and perhaps I can try another mold (i.e. a slightly smaller one). I did make a very nice pillar with that same mold about 4 years ago and it is being proudly displayed in my brother's home. If only I could remember what I did back then.

I'll try to get a photo of all four I did recently.

Hi Asher,,I just wanted to add my 2 cents,,LOL,,I make alot of pillars and I have never had fingernailing although I love that effect. I use either IGI-4625 or peaks pillar pre-blend MP 145 and it works great. I love these waxes and they also make great votives,,, I used to be impatient to wait for the cooling period too. If I make a candle say @ 10am,,,I do not take it out of the mold until the mold is cool to the touch,,usually around 5pm,,(dont forget to poke your hole reliefs during the cooling Off stage ( and I poke it more then once),,,then I do my repour,,,I only have to do this once. HTH a little,,,