Vanilla Stabilizer for MP- Funky Smell?

CBE

I bought some Vanilla Stabilizer for MP soaps from WSP a while back. I used it for the first time last night, using the recommended amounts (1 Tablespoon per lb of soap). It has no smell OOB, and my finished soap smelled normal... smelled like the fragrance I used, Sweet Pumpkin (mixed in with some vanilla, yumma yumma yumma!).

I sliced a chunk off my MP log to use in the shower last night, and the lather smelled really FUNKY. It didn't smell like Sweet Vanilla Pumpkin at all once the bar was wet. I can't describe the scent, but I can tell you, it just doesn't SMELL NICE.

I know it's not my soap base (SFIC), I also made another batch with a different scent (didn't use Vanilla Stabilizer in that one), and that batch smells fine, even the lather smells fine.

Anyone else experience this funky smell in your soap using the Vanilla Stabilizer from WSP in MP? Does your soap smell funky after getting it wet and lathering up?

Haven't tried it. Had been thinking about it before and was wondering if it's really necessary for M&P?!:confused:

I made some pumpkin vanilla without any stabalizer and my soap and lather smell yummy.

Is the stabalizer to keep the soap from turning yellow?

Vanilla heavy fragrances tend to turn soap and other things brown. A vanilla stabilizer can make a huge difference in that! :)

• 1 year later...

I too bought some Vanilla Stabilizer from WSP a while back and it had a bad smell to it that affected my M&P soap. I chalked it up to being 6 months old and threw it out. I ordered another bottle from WSP recently and it has absolutely no smell. I'm not sure if they changed their formula or what but this second bottle is great.

I bought it and it smelled like sulphur when I opened it so I didn't want to take a chance on it stinking up my soap so I just put it away. Several months later as I was going through some supplies I pulled it out and it had some skanky stuff growing in it, even though it should not have been contaminated in any way.

Maybe they get bad batches of it now and then, because I've seen a few other people complain about the way it smelled, and still others say it's great.

Edited by sockmonkey