ever have tumbler troubles?

Hi. I really like the look of my various Anchor Hocking (8 or 10 oz. but 3" dia.) tumblers. Has anyone had any horror stories/problems with them as far as breaking, burning something it was sitting on, etc. You get the idea. On search, I didn't find anything, but since they are for drinking and not actually for candle making, I thought a quick thread might help me decide. So far I have had no problems...largest wick was an htp 126 using a soy paraffin blend. TIA. Beth

Here's a link to safety standards for candlemaking

http://www.candles.org/industry.html

I cannot find the link to the ASTM standard for glassware, but I *think* it is 225°F. So, any glassware used should be able to tolerate 225°F.

My personal standard is that if the glass becomes too hot for me to pick up at any point in the burning of the candle (beginning, middle, end, FMP, powerburn, etc.), then I either need to wick down or use a container which doesn't become so hot while burning.

Even when one makes candles in glassware rated for candlemaking, one still has to remember it IS glass and even pyrex will shatter or crack under the right circumstances. Candles should ALWAYS be burned on a heat-resistant, fireproof surface. I would never set a container candle directly on furniture, etc.

Even if you personally have never had a problem, if you are selling candles, first, you need liability insurance (ESPECIALLY if using glass not manufactured or rated for candlemaking use) and, second, you need to have the required consumer warning label on the candle.

Thanks Susan. I haven't had a problem with them overheating or anything, but just hated to spend the time testing and the money on more if many people have run into problems at a later date. I've refilled them for my own testing several times and they do look nice. I found tumblers at Gen Wax (I suppose candle rated), but they aren't as pretty as these ones from Anchor Hocking. I will check the bottoms as so far I haven't been adhering wicks for testing and haven't really looked at the bottom. I had almost decided no one used these tumblers. Thanks. Beth

My experience is mostly with Libbey glass but I expect it applies to Anchor Hocking and other brands. A lot of the containers suggested for candlemaking in the Libbey special markets catalog is drinkware and storageware from their other catalogs. In addition to those products I've tried tumblers that aren't in the special markets catalog and they've worked just as well. I know others people have done the same.

There are containers out there intended mainly for candles (for instance, sanctuary a.k.a. seven-day votive jars), but I think not so many. A lot of it is just general glassware that's popular for candlemaking. I suppose there is such a thing as candle-rated containers in that some stuff has been tried and proven, but I think the truth is that most glassware works fine. If your tumblers seem to be performing well then you probably needn't worry.

That's just my opinion on the subject. Don't blame me if something explodes on you. ;)

Thanks all. My general opinion is that these tumblers are as safe as any candle following normal candle burning precautions. I think I looked at the Crisa tumblers and really liked them. Just didn't want to purchase any if there is a total consensus that they are totally unacceptable for reasons I couldn't find in my testing. And, Top, I'd never blame you if one explodes...but what was the name of your insurance co. again? :grin2: Hey, I read in one of the forums that even tarts can explode. Probably fit right in with some of my other disasters. Appreciate all the input. Beth

I do have those plastic lids from GL and also have some of the metal ones that Just By Nature used to carry. You have to put a pin hole in the plastic lid to get it over the thick wall of the tumbler and the metal ones stopped working when the glass walls were made a little thicker than ususal. Votivo uses a machine made tissue cover that is twisted on and looks real upscale.

Chuck