Double Boiler Question

Skiminims

Hey all!

So I was finally able to order my MP base and got it in the mail yesterday! I went with SFIC GM. I can't wait to see how it turns out!

I've got two questions before I get started...

First I'm only going to do 1lb batches at a time and ordered the 2lb tub. Anyone have any tips on how to get 1lb of soap out of the 2lb tub? lol cut it out with a knife? Scoop it with a spoon? :P

Also, I know you all put saran wrap over your pyrex measuring cups when melting via microwave, but do I have to put saran wrap over my pouring pot when melting over the stove using the double boiler method? I don't want to dry out my soap :)

Thanks!!!!

I use a big knife or a pizza cutter with 2 blades to slice thru it. I put the top on just so the steam stayed in and melted it quicker. I really don't know what the rule of thumb is. Hope the more experienced people will answer.

When I make smaller batches like a pound, I just melt mine in a giant glass measuring cup (I think it holds 8 cups) in the microwave, and never bothered to put plastic over it--I just keep a close eye on it.

If I got soap in a tub I would try to pop the whole thing out, cut it all into cubes and then put them back in the same container if possible. It just saves a little time the next time you want to make soap.

If I got soap in a tub I would try to pop the whole thing out, cut it all into cubes and then put them back in the same container if possible. It just saves a little time the next time you want to make soap.

Brilliant!!

The only reason that I'm using the double boiler is that I don't have a glass pyrex measuring cup. Now I have a plastic one...would that melt in the micro?

Try sticking in the microwave for 1 minute and see. I would invest in a good glass pyrex measuring cup. I have a couple and they work great in the microwave.

Also-- I would do what sockmonkey suggested and pop the whole 2 lb soap out of the container to cut it up.

I order 10 and 24 lb blocks and cut them up with a butcher knife or chefs knife.

I don't have a glass cup either so I use tupperwares (real and generic) and don't have any problems. I generally melt larger qty's with the double boiler method and then will melt my different colors/scrub layer, etc. batches real quick in the mircro.

Btw... does anyone know what glitter in soap base will do in the micro? Lol, i've often wanted to rebatch a bit but am pretty sure I shouldn't if it has glitter in it. I can't tell what the general rule is if soap glitters, etc are metallic enough to cause a problem.

I don't cover anything in the micro, but try to use a pan lid on the dbl boiler just to keep the heat in and help it melt faster.