Soap Wholesale customer warning

kidsngarden

I wasn't going to post this info because I'm not sure exactly what this guys deal is other than trying to scam you into a lower price, but he is incredibly high maintenance and makes tons of promises he doesn't seem to be able to keep. Another soaper on another forum was hit up by him as well though with the same crap he gave me so now I'm posting this to help out my soaping friends. He will negotiate a price with you and then ask for it to be made cheaper saying he can't sell bars for more than $3. This guy swears he's going to make a million dollars and never leaves a phone number (and it's restricted) and won't use paypal. I have a long two month saga I could tell you about this guy, but I won't cause it's just too unreal and too long to write

I won't give out last names unless you PM me but he goes by two names, Don and Dana and is based out of Medina NY. He says he has a whole bunch of soapers working for him and is going to big bigger than dove or dial. He is especially looking for GM soapers since he has been turned down by myself and this other gal recently.

If you are approached by this guy my advice would be to run away, but if you do proceed, do so with EXTREME caution.

If you need more information you can PM or email me, but I will not post it publicly.

Oh my gosh! I hope you all don't confuse him with ME! I am the good soaper from the North! That is strange though, not too many Dana's around.... I am a girl Dana, you say this is a man, that helps. We all know you can get more than $3.00 for a bar of good soap! Thanks for the warning! ~Dana (the good gal soaper from the North):D

A good way to avoid this is having your wholesale plan written up and ready to go and sticking to it.

You then know beforehand how much it costs you and how much you want for your product. You can also incorporate a bargaining percentage into the plan for large and small wholesale orders. A solid plan will also help you to avoid scams like these.

Going round and round with this guy for two months sounds to me like you didn't have your plans in place or were waffleing because you were uncertain about it.

In any event you have good experience now to help you deal with your next wholesale customer in a more straightforward manner.;)

This I know Candybee.

This was such and insanely unique situation.

I totally would not have done custom soap without an upfront payment. The rip off with this guy is not so much in production but the amount of time you spend dealing with him and I should have nipped it in the bud long before two months but I was trying to be nice, then I got flat out mean and rude and he still did not go away.

I put my foot down and said, "you give me the cash for a 36 bar pack with a custom label and that's my terms" (at this point I just wanted to eek out some money from the crazy guy for my time - though this didn't even begin to cover it) so he sent the money, but it was short $7 so I took out a couple of bars of soap, but then the MO wasn't signed!!!

so I sent it back for him to sign, then he doesn't conact me for a week so I email him asking if he's returned it to me yet, but now he wants to just buy 5 bars to try - which is what I told him to do in the first place! I went off on him and told him I had his soap wrapped and ready to go (which I did not do until the MO was in hand - I didn't realize it wasn't signed until I went to the bank - thank goodness I went there BEFORE the PO) He said, "Oh yeah, ok, I'll get it too you." I was so ticked I told him he had to get payment to me by wednesday (this was a Saturday) or it was all over. He refused to use paypal so he sent it Express and had the NERVE to ask me to include 4-5 extra bars because he had paid $15 to get the MO to me so fast! Grrr. No way buddy. Should have just signed the stupid thing and sent it back to me right away for 43 cents!

I get the MO and send him his soap Promptly and then he still comes back with all these other stupid requests. So I told him to forget it and I blacklisted the guy off my email and he got a new one and started begging for me to make soap for him. I told him I couldn't do business with him anymore and that that email would be blacklisted too. I told him not to contact me. so he gets another email which I again blacklist and he leaves two incredibly long voice messages (never with his restricted phone number to call him back either!) begging for soap again!

The only thing I did wrong was to try to help him out too much. I tell you he will push and push until you can't take it anymore...

This has been a long rant, but this doesn't even begin to tell you the stuff I went through with this guy!