Shrink wrapping. Seriously.

Ok, I know I periodically start a thread on this LOL, but really it's something that makes me mad.

I tried some shrink wrap sleeves from allwhite and they looked perfect on my palm pillars, so I went ahead and bought a lot, including the ones for votives.

The problem comes when I try to shrink wrap something that is smooth, a pillar or a votive, because the sleeve before becoming all stretched makes a lot of wrinkles, and these wrinkles mark the surface of the candle. So when you tear off the wrapping you can see signs on the candles. Nothing that I want my customers to see. With palm pillars and rustics the problem is not real, but I do a lot of plain and smooth pillars (italians are very traditional) and I want a way to package all my stuff consistently.

I tried using a lower heat with the heat gun, but it took forefever to shirnk and the problem was worst. Maybe I should try with more heat, so it shrinks faster, but I'm scared now!!! What do ya all do???

Please!!!!! I can't be so dumb, there's something I can't get LOL!!!

Two things: First, try another brand of wrap. Something that stays softer when shrunk. Or, maybe you could wrap your smooth candles in some type of clear wrap before shrinking them. I know it's an extra step, but it would protect the finish.

I shrink wrap my pillars, tarts, & votives, & do not have the problem.

Fredron

We have the sleeves from packcoinc and they tend not to wrinkle so much and can be smoothed out with heat if one develops. Maybe try different ways of applying your heat. It doesn't take much to make this stuff start to form around an object.

hi scented,

I know but I had problems with the ones form packoinc too.

it takes only one wrinkle while the stuff is heated and the candle is marked!!!

I need a heat gunnin session LOL

Call Art at National Shrinkwrap. Get all my stuff from him. I have several different products that take different wrap and he was able to advise what would be best in each situation. Great customer service as well. I use his wand system [18"] and it is the best investment I ever made as far as time and quality.

http://www.nationalshrinkwrap.com/page/page/4625591.htm

I don't know if you have tried this but maybe you could try waving the heat gun over the shrink wrap, not holding it stationery until you are done. This way, the candle doesn't get heated too much that if there is a wrinkle, it will not mark the candle. Like Scented said, it does not take much, so by doing it in shorter bursts, this might eliminate the marking of the candle

Call Art at National Shrinkwrap. Get all my stuff from him. I have several different products that take different wrap and he was able to advise what would be best in each situation. Great customer service as well. I use his wand system [18"] and it is the best investment I ever made as far as time and quality.

http://www.nationalshrinkwrap.com/page/page/4625591.htm

thanks Sherolyn, but I can't LOL!!! I'm in italy!! well I think I'll try again with the things I have here, at least I have enuf sleeves to do massive testing!!

here we have producers but they won't send me any samples, they won't sell less than 3 rolls at a time... it's too much for me!

I don't know if you have tried this but maybe you could try waving the heat gun over the shrink wrap, not holding it stationery until you are done. This way, the candle doesn't get heated too much that if there is a wrinkle, it will not mark the candle. Like Scented said, it does not take much, so by doing it in shorter bursts, this might eliminate the marking of the candle

Hi NancyJo, that is what I try to do, moving my hand so i don't over heat a particular spot. But this happens at the very beginning of the process, and only in the spot where the shrinking begins. Maybe because the film is "cold" and takes a bit to heat, then as long as I move my hand or the candle the rest is quite fine, I think because now the film took some heat so the shrinking goes better.. hope this makes sense!

Cybersix

I don't do pillars so I might be talking out my butt, but do you have excess wrap? If so, maybe you can pull it tight in the back, making a seam down the back of the pillar, making the front tight, trying to eliminate as many wrinkles as possible?

What I do with votives is take the excess, fold the excess over itself then while holding the excess, start shrinking the top first, then the sides and finally the bottom. My heat gun has two levels, low and high, use the lower setting.

Hope this helps