The Scoop about FOs for newbies

I have always considered myself a "newbie" because I have only been doing this for 11 months. I have seen lately, here on CandleTech ,that there are some newbies now who are newer than me.....so I want to share something with you that I have learned that might save you some money and frustration.One of the things I like most about this "medium" is I dont think I could ever master it. There are so many variables to be considered, and so many different types of candles and styles to try, that it will always be challenging, changing and fun.

One of the major frustrations that I had in the beginning was trying to learn about FOs. I wanted the BEST. I have wasted alot of money "gambling" on different suppliers in search of the strongest, best throwing oils. I have been disappointed too many times to count and far more often than I have been pleased. I ran across this article written by the Candlemakers Store ( and no, I am not suggesting that this company has the best oils ) that I had saved that FINALLY clarified the HUGE FO frustration I was having and couldn't really get any answers for prior to reading this. I hope it helps you guys out. It is the ONLY thing that made sense to me as to why purchasing FOs was so "hit and miss".

HTH http://candlemakers.zoovy.com/category/faq.candle_formulas/

Michael

Well thank you for that! I've never tried their FO's...and now I'm curious to try their grade A fragrances. They're cheaper than some othe places I order from and they claim I'd only need to use 1 oz. per pound TOPS. That was a great article- thank you for sharing it!

Just had to post about the candlemaker store. I've bought several of his fos for years, we used to call him 'Steve, the nice guy', although I think some people might not agree, lol. I've never tried the B grade, only the A grade. They are great! I do use less than with other fos in most cases, so they are really more economical. When you order samples, these are the A grade fos. Some that I order over & over again are: Cranberry Relish; Blueberry muffin; spiced vanilla; fruit salad; & strawberry shortcake.

Pam R

Hi Island.

No, I haven't tried them yet, but they are on my list because of the honest evaluation and explanation. I am hung up on WYW ( Wick Your Wax ) FOs right now. ( Plus I can't begin to tell you how many FOs I have that I HAVE to use that I am not that crazy about...and most likely will discount the candles because at MAX % they still aren't the very best they could be with a better grade FO )

I have no doubt that WYW oils are the best that are available. If anyone has used many of their oils and know of a supplier that ALL their oils are as consistantly as good as ALL of WYW oils, I would LOVE to know about them. I hear nice things about SOME of the oils from different suppliers. It is like this crazy mindset like...Ohhhh the Cranberry Watoooozie is GREAT, but the Banana Fostereeeza is weak. I really hate that "hit and miss" thing. The only thing about WYW FOs is they dont have 250 choices....but every single one that they do carry is good quality and you can count on it.

Its like Godiva Ice Cream...whether or not you like every flavor....you KNOW that every single flavor is GOOD quality. They do not have a great Vanilla and a poor quality Chocolate.

I hope this is making some kind of sense. I am not sure I have done a good job of explaining it.:undecided

Dallas Dean.....

Thanks for posting. I'm also new to this and this was very helpful. I also live in the Dallas Metroplex and am right down the street from both Taylored Concepts and AAA Candle Supplies. I get most of my fragrances from them. I have also purchased from Snowtop and they have quality fragrances. Taylored manufactures their own fragrances and it's so easy just to hop in the car and get more FO's if needed. I may try these guys out knowing the difference now between Grade A & B.

Thanks for sharing!

Pam