Settle a debate

Which do most of you go by when measuring your wax for a pound: 16oz or 20oz? I understand the difference between dry to liquid -- just wondering if most consider a pound from the starting dry weight or the finished liquid weight??

Susan.

Thanks, all. Just want to confirm that I'm right & not crazy. Well, one out of two ain't bad!! Have someone trying to tell me I have to start w/20oz of wax. I've been weighing 16oz for yrs, but was willing to at least entertain the thought that I MIGHT be wrong. lol

Susan.

I'm not understand your question ? 16oz dry = 20oz liquid? If you took 16oz of flakes and measured it then took 16oz of liquid and measured it would be the same, using the same amount of wax for each. Wait now I sound confusing.... if you take that 16 oz of flakes and melted it and measured it in liquid form, it would still weigh 16oz. Whether dry or in liquid form they weight the same, at least that's what I was always told. I measure my flakes dry then melt. Always thought it was true as I have melted 6 oz (measured dry flakes) for a jj before, weighed it, taring the weight of the jar and the liquid, and solid states were 6oz as well. Maybe its too early for me, am I close to your question? I think what's throwing me off is when SD said "the finished weight will be solid as well. It doesn't make much difference which you go by, 16 oz solid weight (1 lb) is about equivilent to 20 fluid oz (2 1/2 cups)." I'm horrible w/ weight/measurement. My fourth grader was doing it last week and not undestanding it, but somehow I was able to help him and him got 100%. Anywho hopefully I'm not too far off (remember I'm claiming its to early for me to be thinking:D )

You're right, Maryann -- it's a topic that gets confusing. I tried to keep it simple, but looking back, probably made it worse trying to keep it too simple. The REAL question probably should have been: Do you start with a weight of 16 or 20oz's wax? It made no sense to me that the person I'm arguing with would start w/20oz wax ... but after a long debate, they managed to have me confused enough that I had a hard time getting back on track & making my point clear! lol I agree with Barbie ...math is hard!!! Although, I have NO problem crunching numbers to get money numbers right! HA

Susan.

You are mixing up weight and volume. 16 oz (weight) of liquid wax has the volume (measurement) of 20 oz., when melted. Confusing!

I went through this years ago when someone tried to help me out by telling me the same info. LOL!

The wax just takes up more room when liquified. Same reason for weighing FO instead of measuring. Some oils weigh more than others.

Just stick with the weight, and be sure to weigh everything---you will be fine.:)