The candle supplies have arrived...now what?

Remember I am a newbie:)

I thought some instructions about the amount of FO and dye to start with would come with the wax. It didnt.

I realize the more dye the darker the color. So do I start by melting the wax and adding different amounts to each container?

With the FO, do I start out with adding 1 oz per pound?

Or with the FO should I make a candle with 1/2 oz, 1oz and so on to see which I want?

OK stop laughing and help me out!

First thing is what containers are you using, which type of wick, and type of wax.

If you are doing containers, here is what I do (BTW, I use IGI 4786 wax, dye chips and scent from Bitter Creek North)...I melt wax to about 185 - 190 degrees. I usually add dye chip as wax is melting to ensure it is completely melted. Then I stir, stir, stir. I add FO at about 180 degrees and stir until about 165 - 170 degrees and do first pour into container. I wait until first layer is cooled (when sides of jar have no heat) then do repour 10 degrees hotter than my first pour.

I ususally start out with 1 oz. FO per pound of wax and adjust from there.

I hope I have helped some. Feel free to pm me or email me at scentimentalgifts@hotmail.com

Pam

First candle! Boy, does that bring back memories. What a catastraphe! But the bottom line is, I had a blast and still do to this day. Welcome to the world of candle making where you will be pulling your hair out at times and acting like a proud mama at other times. Just let go and have a ball, Benna.

Don G.