Did you see the Candlemaking Video @ Candlescience...

Talk about oversimplifying to make a sale. Not to mention that the "supply list" doesn't even mention a wick... hey, let's throw a 62 zinc in there!

She did mention a wick. "Eco 14 for a complete burn".

MissMary, I went back and saw what you meant. It's not listed on the Supply list, she just mentions it on the video.

Sorry, for the misunderstanding on my part!

I was also disappointed in this video..

It reminds me Candlewealth's video's. :tiptoe:

The "Simple, easy to make, inexpensive." lol

Unless I missed it,

they did not even mention how much testing should be done before you start handing out your candles or selling them...:undecided

I feel the same about it. I am pretty sure too that she did not mention the need to test each fragrance to make sure it will throw well and test each fragrance for proper wicking to make sure it burns safely and correct, etc. An ECO 14 may not be the one for all fragrances and wax application in that tin. How about what you do if the tops are not so perfect, etc. The actual mixing and pouring is not all that hard but the steps that lead up to making a quality product that take a lot of work and should I say.....MONEY!

I just watched the video, and the supply list does mention the wick now. I don't know why everyone is upset over this. It's an introductory video, explaining that you can make a simple candle at home. Isn't this how most (if not all) of us started.

I agree with Debscent ... this is simply an introduction to soy candlemaking ... very basic. This probably would have helped me as a newbie.

Yes, it is a very informative video on how to make a soy candle. :highfive:

If the video left it at that, at a basic starting point,and let viewers know that they may have to test different combinations of wax, wicks, and FO's. Then I would have loved it..

But it was the sales pitch that got to me..:undecided

It lead you to believe that anyone could whip up a perfect soy candle on the first try with just the mentioned ingredients they listed...

Wait till a newbie tries to wick a heavy FO with an eco 14, and it drowns out. They won't know why...

Exactly - I haven't been doing this long, especially compared to so many people, but if I saw this video first... I would have thought it was easy as pie. Thankfully, I found this forum first and all the "tough love" and "soft love" guided me through, helped me, scolded me (pertaining to candles of course) and so much more.

This video IMO is entirely detrimental for newbies. It completely oversimplifies everything. If this was maybe an "intro" on where to start, it's one thing, but they are touting it as cheaper than storebought (uh.... wish someone would have told me, not to mention they are one of the higher cost suppliers out there) AND that you can GIVE THEM AS GIFTS. It's one thing to make candles for yourself, you are taking your own risk, but God forbid, what if some woman lights up a totally overwicked soy candle from someone who saw this video? That wick, I can guarantee you doesn't work for every FO out there, and given some of the FO's I have, I know that I have a baseline wick, but some take ALOT less and some ALOT more.

Yes, it is a very informative video on how to make a soy candle. :highfive:

If the video left it at that, at a basic starting point,and let viewers know that they may have to test different combinations of wax, wicks, and FO's. Then I would have loved it..

But it was the sales pitch that got to me..:undecided

It lead you to believe that anyone could whip up a perfect soy candle on the first try with just the mentioned ingredients they listed...

Wait till a newbie tries to wick a heavy FO with an eco 14, and it drowns out. They won't know why...

I agree. She tied it in with how many have made it a business by selling candles to make money. It down-played what really goes into it even just for a hobby I think. Regarding what was said in an above post, when I first started I really did not (good thing) go into it thinking it was going to be really easy and did not want to just make candles for fun for home. I did a lot of research before I got started. I went into it with the hopes of creating quality products for a future business. My expectations were really high regarding the quality of the candles. Like Island said, if they would have elaborated a little more even as a hobby it would not have been that big of of deal....and also kept the business and selling aspect out of it for sure if they were going to leave out those parts.

Exactly - I haven't been doing this long, especially compared to so many people, but if I saw this video first... I would have thought it was easy as pie. Thankfully, I found this forum first and all the "tough love" and "soft love" guided me through, helped me, scolded me (pertaining to candles of course) and so much more.

Ditto...and even before I found this board, I just knew that it was not going to be easy.

Nuscents has a video similar to that, don't they and they heat the wax in the microwave. I don't even think they mention what wick they are using and they use a wine glass (from what I can remember) It also looks Soooooooooooooooo simple

I think what has me most upset was a respected supplier did this video and they should know better.

I guess it just a case of they fell off the pedestal I put them on and now I am disappointed in them.

As far as the first installment maybe they should have had more installments ready before releasing the first one.

They are not doing themselves any favors either when a newbie runs out and makes candles using that video and their candles do not preform well they are going to think badly of CS.

This is typical craft marketing. People get into hobbies and out of them quickly. The kits and videos, whether for candlemaking or mosaic or stained glass or jewelry-making, etc., are to entice the hobbyist to get into the craft, drop some bucks and to show them that it's easy and they can do it. And, from a certain perspective, they are right: most crafts can be simplified for the newbie level. People make a few projects, find out it's work and become disenchanted with their humble results or become bored and move on to something else that attracts them. Rarely do people stick with a craft long enough to even approach an intermediate level of expertise. They don't want to even learn enough to assemble their own materials - they want a kit, like a cake mix. This is "bread & butter" income for suppliers.

I think Candlescience's video is typical and no worse than others I have seen. It was directed toward hobbyist newbies to encourage those who cannot follow written instructions with illustrations, who don't have access to candlemaking classes and who need a demonstration to muster up the courage to try something. It wasn't directed at most of us...

Most people don't give two craps about the finer points of candlemaking (or any craft or skill, for that matter) and are NOT gonna cause beads of sweat to break out on their brows trying to figure out problems, or, god forbid, learn much of anything, especially on their own! Notice that tins were wisely chosen for the demonstration rather than glassware - no wet spots or much visible frosting issues to cause consternation.

I'm not disappointed with Candlescience at all - it's simply business and they, like everyone else, are suffering diminished sales and are trying to beef up their market. Nothing wrong with that at all, IMHO.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this would be a great video if it were part of a kit. Yes, it would be that basic method.

However, as a stand alone instruction I think it needs to include a forceful disclaimer that the method is ONLY FOR SOY. A novice may go to Hobby Lobby or Michaels and grab some wax ... only to have it turn out to be paraffin. A couple of drips on the outside of the pot - put it back on that hot plate - WHOOSH - FLARE UP!

A better first episode would be an explanation of terms, types of wax and hazards. Maybe even a demo of a paraffin flare to get their attention.

LOL!!! Judy, a demo of a paraffin flare-up would scare newbies away for sure. They'd never place an order. Maybe this demo should be included in the kit they purchase! I wonder if I could sell more candles if I did a flare-up demo? LMAO