My all time favorite selling trick

Debra Phelps

You will love this. I have a lot of people that sell my candles out in the public, mostly to business'. One of the guys was training the new guy. The new guy said he didn't think he could just go in there and talk to them. He was afraid they would tell him to leave. So the seller went into the store, with him following him. He said Watch this. Can you do this? He went up to the counter, opened a candle, sit it on the counter and walked away. he ask the new guy to come with him. They shopped around in the store. And watched the clerks. At first they stayed away. Then one at a time went up to smell the candle, and soon there were several. They ask the guys if they had anymore. And of course they went out and got a couple of boxes. Ended up selling 8 candles. And never once said a word to sell them. Pretty good hugh. If you can't do that, you can't sell. lol:yay:

LOL! Good approach. Would they think it was pushy if a woman tried that technique? :laugh2: Men can get away with anything and everything!!!!!! :laugh2:

LOL! Ain't that the truth! I have had my brother sell more candles at my booth while I went out for lunch than I could all day. Must be something appealing to women about a man with candles. Next show, I'm telling him to come along and wear a tight shirt to show off those muscles. :)

LOL! Ain't that the truth! I have had my brother sell more candles at my booth while I went out for lunch than I could all day. Must be something appealing to women about a man with candles. Next show, I'm telling him to come along and wear a tight shirt to show off those muscles. :)

Right! I'm going to let my son handle my candles from now on!

SierraandJoelTwo-1.jpg

:laugh2: :laugh2:

Now that is interesting. My husband started helping me a couple of years ago. When we do booths, he can outsell me 10 to 1. We do this scent game. When I try to do it, they look at me like I have two heads. When he waltzes up to them, gives them a grin and asks if they want to play a game, they jump at it. Giggle and carry on all during the game, and almost always end up buying something from him. If I can get them to do it, they grumble and can't seem to get away quick enough. He had a radio station watching him at one of the county fairs and did an interview with him live about his selling techniques. They teased him that he sold better when I wasn't there. Its true. I don't care, we always say that we make a good pair, I am the creater of our products, he is the salesman.

Same way in the store, he can sell to just about anyone. Even guys, because he gives them hints on gifts that will please their wives.

I have had several women tell me how lucky I am to have a husband so romantic, but actually he isn't like that at all, just good at trying to make a sale! When we go shopping, he is awful.

Now that is interesting. My husband started helping me a couple of years ago. When we do booths, he can outsell me 10 to 1. We do this scent game. When I try to do it, they look at me like I have two heads. When he waltzes up to them, gives them a grin and asks if they want to play a game, they jump at it. Giggle and carry on all during the game, and almost always end up buying something from him. If I can get them to do it, they grumble and can't seem to get away quick enough. He had a radio station watching him at one of the county fairs and did an interview with him live about his selling techniques. They teased him that he sold better when I wasn't there. Its true. I don't care, we always say that we make a good pair, I am the creater of our products, he is the salesman.

Same way in the store, he can sell to just about anyone. Even guys, because he gives them hints on gifts that will please their wives.

I have had several women tell me how lucky I am to have a husband so romantic, but actually he isn't like that at all, just good at trying to make a sale! When we go shopping, he is awful.

Isn't that the truth! All the women brighten up when my husband is around. He's a big joker, so I know they are just wanting attention.

Touch him and you die!

:bliss::bliss:

Wow! He is gorgeous! Makes me wish I was 30 years younger and 30 lbs lighter. Then I'd let him light my fire anytime! You should be proud. Did he get his looks from you?

The worse part is yes, when I was younger. Isn't he supposed to look like his father? lol

I thought I had better edit this to reflect that I wasn't saying I was gorgeous! lol I just would have wanted to look more like my mother than my father and more like my daughter than my son. lol

I remember doing my first trade show with DH. When I was in that booth, nobody came up to talk to me, when I left and came back, DH had all these woman around placing wholesale orders. I really think women become intimidated by other women. Same goes with a males clothing store. If my DH goes in to buy clothing and a guy comes up to offer assitance, he always says "I'm just looking". If a young girl approaches him and says something like "WOW...you just picked that new item we just got in and I can see you have taste, that would look fabulous on you, why don't you try it on". DH won't even try it on, just hand her the cash and take her word for it. :)

This is funny but I know what you are saying.Happens with my husband when I take a break. Funny he is 66 years old so doesn't matter the age.He even sounds obnoxious and doesn't know what he is talking about and gets sales. I have to go over and correct him at times. He is one who acts like he knows it all but knows nothing but he sells. I think I will be dumb from now on.:)

Now maybe if women would go into a car parts place that might work.Maybe we could sell candles but lately I see alot of women working in those places. That wouldn't work.

In my years of doing candle sales I have had 4 men to buy and all the rest women. Sometimes husband and wife and the husband makes the decision if he likes it or not.

LynnS

This is funny but I know what you are saying.Happens with my husband when I take a break. Funny he is 66 years old so doesn't matter the age.He even sounds obnoxious and doesn't know what he is talking about and gets sales. I have to go over and correct him at times. He is one who acts like he knows it all but knows nothing but he sells. I think I will be dumb from now on.:)

Now maybe if women would go into a car parts place that might work.Maybe we could sell candles but lately I see alot of women working in those places. That wouldn't work.

In my years of doing candle sales I have had 4 men to buy and all the rest women. Sometimes husband and wife and the husband makes the decision if he likes it or not.

LynnS

Hilarious!!! :laugh2: I suppose we get more affirmation, that we seek, from the opposite sex.

so, do you have any selling tips for someone doing their first craft show, thats scared to death of approaching the public? :o

Mines a week on saturday, massive 2 day show, and the thought of having to talk to people is freaking me out. Daft I know, but I'm sure if I'm asked a question, I'll go beetroot and fall over my tongue!

I've a couple of crafties up my sleeve, my son (or mum), if he has a football match, will be helping, and theres a mini crufts dog show and a classic car show (I make dog soap and mechanics soap), so they'll be going round to the owners with leaflets ;)

I'm just petrified of having to talk to Joe Public, I'm ok in cyberspace :D

so' date=' do you have any selling tips for someone doing their first craft show, thats scared to death of approaching the public? :o

Mines a week on saturday, massive 2 day show, and the thought of having to talk to people is freaking me out. Daft I know, but I'm sure if I'm asked a question, I'll go beetroot and fall over my tongue!

I've a couple of crafties up my sleeve, my son (or mum), if he has a football match, will be helping, and theres a mini crufts dog show and a classic car show (I make dog soap and mechanics soap), so they'll be going round to the owners with leaflets ;)

I'm just petrified of having to talk to Joe Public, I'm ok in cyberspace :D[/quote']

Just pick up a George Clooney mask at a costume store. That ought to work for you. Ya think? :grin2:

lol' date=' could try :D

wonder if I could hire some eye candy for the day, just to stand and hold a candle or soap, or...............even get a bath tub in there with him in it, using the soap, now that could work[/quote']

Forget it. They'll just watch him bath and forget about buying soap, candles or where they parked their car. Total waste of money and time. :laugh2:

For His Glory

Yes it is funny but so true that men no matter how old get attention and as we see sell. Remember the old saying age is just a number.

When my husband does shows I just grin and bear it. I see so many have husbands who do great at selling and really know the business. Mine knows nothing. You know the thing when someone says "Oh are these the candles you can use as a lotion??? Well my husband says I have tried it and it does great as a lotion but my wife says NO. I then tell the customer why not and they just look at me and walk away. They don't want to hear why NOT!!! This is when I could ring his neck. I think he just talks to be talking. He knows we have talked about this and still can't be quiet.

I just take him along for the potty breaks and the slow time.

Shows coming up soon. Can't wait to see how much he sells.

LynnS

Heck, I would buy my own candles from him.:drool: lol I think men are good sellers. But I have had a lot of women sell for me too that were really good. Especially the real cute ones. I am a great seller, not that good looking, but I can sell. I don't like to sell. I would rather make them all day. But if I don't sell them, I can't make anymore. :highfive: