wicking aluminum mold

Hi all, I'm going to buy my first seamless aluminum mold from ebay!!:D

But one thing I dont' understand.. how do you wick this molds? I'm using only pc molds, they have a "base" so they don't lay directly on a surface.. but an aluminum mold does not have a base, so I do wick it?

Sorry maybe it's a silly question, and when I'll have that mold in my hands I'll understand..

TIA

Sabrina

You put the wick in, tie a knot on the bottom and put sealer/putty over it. If it's a concave, there shouldn't ba any problem. If it's flat, you'll have to set it on something. I use a smallish jar lid, flipped over so it works kinda like a bowl. The diameter should be smaller then the base of the mold. Maybe I didn't make that too confusing. I'm sure others will pop in here with other ways...

Hi, Here's what I do: I put my wick through the hole in the base of the mould and cover it with several pieces of tape (see this link for pictures: http://www.candletech.com/metaltape/). Then I sit my mould in a bowl of uncooked rice so that it is nice and steady for me to pour my wax. HTH. Mozz BTW, congratulations on your first aluminium mould - I was very excited when I got mine.

Hi, Here's what I do: I put my wick through the hole in the base of the mould and cover it with several pieces of tape (see this link for pictures: http://www.candletech.com/metaltape/). Then I sit my mould in a bowl of uncooked rice so that it is nice and steady for me to pour my wax. HTH. Mozz BTW, congratulations on your first aluminium mould - I was very excited when I got mine.

Hmm.. that sounds much easier than my way...lol. Good thing most of my molds are concave and I use wick pins :D