subs oil for oils - or butters for butters

JMCintosh

I have spent the last 2 hours searching for subs for oils. There was just way to many pages to go through. I noticed the do's and don'ts for soaping and alot of info on colors and herbs but, could not find 1 page that has all the oils and their subs for when a person was out of one oil what other could be subed. I feel this would be very helpful for a lot of new soapers myself included. :cheesy2:

What oils are you wanting to sub? Are you trying to sub one oil for another oil with similar properties and/or sap values?

Actually, any oil/butter can be subbed out for any other oil and butter as long as you run the numbers. The properties of the soap can change with the subbing of the oil/butter though such as the lathering or conditioning of the bar.

it's not typically a matter of directly subbing as each oil & butter is unique. it's a matter of rebalancing a recipe. soapcalc and soapmaker both have some information to make that a bit easier = you can estimate what you will end up with (after adjusting your LYE of course!)

there are only a few that I myself would consider CLOSE subs (with lye adjustments)

palm/lard = not exact but close

sunflower/safflower/ako = ditto

some say pko/coconut oil but I don't necessarily agree

really taking out an oil is not often a case of just swapping if you want a specific (consistent) result. i have various combinations that get me to pretty much the same place but it's not a 1:1 swap - as I said it's a rebalanced recipe.

I'm repeating myself aren't I?