CP Questions

SueH

I just made my second ever batch of CP soap and have a couple of questions. The first is about the container to measure the lye in. I wiped the container and outside of the lye bottle with a dryer sheet to prevent the lye particles that cling to the edges. What about the little bit that stays in the container after you mix the lye water? I hurried up and rinsed it well with water but wondered if there was a better way to do this. Second question is does it matter if the temp of the lye water and oils are not exact? My lye water cooled down before my oils and wondered if this will affect my recipe? Last of all is about soap dyes. I did not color either of the batches I made and wondered if the B&B dyes from Michael's are okay to use in CP soap or if they are just for M&P soap.Thanks for all your help!!

I have not used dryer sheets on my lye bag... do not know the answer for you on that..

I have always used room temp lye. I like the way that it behaves and allows me to use some pretty finicky FO.

The colors at Michael's are water based colorants. They will not hold or stay true in CP soap. You will need an oil based colorant or you can use natural colorants. I have tried it myself when I was new at CP... the lavender colorant that I used turned a horrible green color!

Have fun! :grin2:

There are alot of natural colorants you can use.

Cinnamon, Cocoa, Paprika, Tumeric, beetroot powder, rose hips powder etc.

I haven't used any fake colorants yet.

I figure with natural soap, why add non-natural ingredients.

I usually make sure my lye/water mixture and oils are 95-100 F.

:) I try to be exact but you don't have to..........