what do u like better hot process soap or cold process?

Guest jurnalynn

Guest jurnalynn

i am the type of person to research for a long time before attempting something and i feel i have a lot of knowledge to attempt soap but as i'm preparing to enter the soaping, i wanted to get everyones opinions what do u think makes a better bar of soap? hot process or cold process, and can u use the came recipe for either one? i'm of course trying cold process first because i feel this is what would be easier but i thought i would ask so i know which one to concentrate on

thank you

Laura

Guest jurnalynn

thanks for you opinions.....i can't wait to try soap but i keep telling myself i have to make it through my next show before i spend more money...........lol new rule for me and my partner is no more out of pocket expenses but its hard for me

Laura

Dont be afraid to try....I like CP because I like the look better. I like HP for the almost instant gratification. I only have to wait a week or two to use it. Of course both get better with time!!

tootie

You can use any recipe for HP or CP but sometimes you have to make certain provisions when doing one or the other like soaping with full water with HP but for the most part, the recipes can be the same.

HP soaps don't come out as creamy and smooth often as CP soap does. HP soap, contrary to what some believe does also need some time to cure to allow the soap to get better, however the cure time can be less with HP than with CP. HP soap is great to make when working with an FO that can be difficult to soap. CP soaps are easier to swirl color in.

That said, I do and prefer CP as I like the smoothness and look of CP soaps better. I also like the idea of using no heat (utilities) to make my soap which helps if I am going for an all natural, "green" soap.

Guest jurnalynn

i think cp is going to be where i start but i really want to try the cream soap so i can make sugar scrubs using it i want to add a foaming scrub to my line but don't want to use slsa because i'm afraid it will be to drying

Laura

Seems like I read somewhere that some FOs that won't work in CP (fade, scent alters, whatever) will be successful in HP. Is that true?

Yes. HP soap can be better for those FOs that can be difficult to soap in CP like seizing, fading etc.

I don't know why this is but I find HP does not last as long as my CP even if it's the same recipe, same cure time, same liquid. Doesn't make sense to me why but HP seems to be a softer bar.

Plus, like others, I make GM soap (with reall GM, not powdered) so I want a whiter bar.

Like others have said, they both have their pros and cons. I use both methods, depending on what FO & colors I want to use.

CP produces a much smoother prettier bar of soap, but requires a 4-6 week cure time. It can also cause some of the fragrances and colors to morph, due to the active lye in the curing soap. And you have to be careful about using metal pans for CP soap molds (like a muffin or loaf pan), because lye + aluminum is a very bad idea.

HP does tend to have a rougher surface texture, but it's great for tricky FO's, since all the lye is cooked out of the soap. Another cool thing about HP is that it's safe to use right away, even though the lather continues to improve with a week or two of cure time. It is more difficult to swirl with this method though, because you're working with a vaseline like consistancy once the soap is cooked. I noticed that my colors look more unique with HP, because the finished bar of soap looks kinda marbled and at times slightly translucent, whereas CP is more creamy.

When I first started soaping, I tried HP in mini loaf pans twice, then swore it off due to the "ugly" texture... But a few years later, I gave it another shot, and now I actually like it. I use a log mold and just trim off the rough texture on top, and it looks almost as smooth as CP.

HP is a great starting point; you don't have to worry about complications from the FO and you can use it much sooner. Additionally, you get to see all the stages of saponification, so it helps you to understand the process.

Personally, I prefer the look of CP but stand by my statement that HP is great to start with. Also, some CP'ers have never tried HP, which puts you at a disadvantage if you have an FO that won't behave in CP. Knowing HP also makes rebatching less fearful, as the look is much the same, so you know what you can achieve.

e

I read lots about newbies starting out with CP for various reasons but I started out with HP as I didn't have the equipment I needed for CP at the time.

Yes you get a more rustic finish which I leave as is, yes you don't get to do so much pretty swirling, but you do still get a wonderful soap which is ready for use so much sooner than CP.

I now prefer to leave mine for at least a week before using them, everything seems to settle down & begin to mature in that time.

I have made some CP & CPOP both of which turned out well but if I want something made & ready for use quickly it's HP & if I only make a 1# loaf in my 2# mould I can press the lid on pretty firmly which gives it a smoother top.

I'm going to make some more CP hopefully this w.e I think I need to start getting ready for christmas & a batch every few days will help.

Sally.