HCM Pro Users

sydnee

Actually, I just was allowed into someone's store - (A BIG thank you to them) - You are marketing this as YOUR product, "Handcraft Market Professional Edition v2.0" written right inside. I have OSCommerce in my own page and about all you did was download the plug ins (including some that have known errors - check the forums, you need to UPDATE to the newer version on them), and changed the words!!!

I have everything you have on there, took me about 30 minutes to get it all installed. You are probably changing the words, sticking them as an ftp install and using Yahoo for 10 bucks or less to host.

Let me show the others what you've put there:

Handcraft Market Professional Edition v2.0 Interface and controls © 2006-2007 HandcraftMarket.com - All Rights Reserved

Let me now show what's SUPPOSED to be there:

osCommerce Online Merchant Copyright © 2008 osCommerce

osCommerce provides no warranty and is redistributable under the GNU General Public License pixel_trans.gif Powered by osCommerce

In that wording (and believe me when I tell you I KNOW), you are stealing an open source item, and using it as your own as a sales point. In case you'd like to know - that's illegal. You have NO rights reserved darlin. Changing the words on an open source product DOES NOT make the product YOURS.

I didn't start with a vendetta against you. Honestly, I didn't - but someone who lies about their "software" trying to trick the masses that don't know any better, take their money for something for FREE, you don't even HOST the servers yourself. You are ripping people off and you don't even care.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By working in PM's with a few of your customers - you are using free software, and using Yahoo to host. Basically, you are charging out the booty to be a middle man for what people could do themselves. Install the software and pay Yahoo 10 bucks a month. Given what I've read on your customer service - I'd take my chances with Yahoo. :laugh2:

I'm not sure who you think this thread is about, but I charged $9.99 a month, and the closest thing I have to do with anything Yahoo related is I have a Yahoo Instant Messenger account.

Here folks using HCM - this look familiar? I don't have pretty colors of course, that's aesthetic. Just take a few words, use a thesaurus, change them around! This is my site's OSCommerce. What do you think guys? Instead of ranting - I'll let you guys be the judge on what he's doing.

post-7103-139458448906_thumb.jpg

Actually, I just was allowed into someone's store - (A BIG thank you to them) - You are marketing this as YOUR product, "Handcraft Market Professional Edition v2.0" written right inside. I have OSCommerce in my own page and about all you did was download the plug ins (including some that have known errors - check the forums, you need to UPDATE to the newer version on them), and changed the words!!!

I have everything you have on there, took me about 30 minutes to get it all installed. You are probably changing the words, sticking them as an ftp install and using Yahoo for 10 bucks or less to host.

Let me show the others what you've put there:

Handcraft Market Professional Edition v2.0 Interface and controls © 2006-2007 HandcraftMarket.com - All Rights Reserved

Let me now show what's SUPPOSED to be there:

osCommerce Online Merchant Copyright © 2008 osCommerce

osCommerce provides no warranty and is redistributable under the GNU General Public License pixel_trans.gif Powered by osCommerce

In that wording (and believe me when I tell you I KNOW), you are stealing an open source item, and using it as your own as a sales point. In case you'd like to know - that's illegal. You have NO rights reserved darlin. Changing the words on an open source product DOES NOT make the product YOURS.

I didn't start with a vendetta against you. Honestly, I didn't - but someone who lies about their "software" trying to trick the masses that don't know any better, take their money for something for FREE, you don't even HOST the servers yourself. You are ripping people off and you don't even care.

THANK YOU!!!! Thats what I have been trying to say all along. If you read the GNU it states that if you use open source software in your software, then your software is automatically open source!!!!

Let me ask you this, MissMary.. does your modded version of osCommerce have an Update Manager? No. Because I wrote that.

Does your modded version of osCommerce have a Layout Manager? No. Because I wrote that, too.

Does your modded version of osCommerce have a Page Manager where you can click a button and create a new static page? No. Because that's another module I wrote.

Does your modded version of osCommerce have an Image Manager? No. Because.. again.. this is another module I wrote.

These are all features that I built that are not available as mods or updates. These are elements that I wrote, and that separate hcmPro from other forks of osCommerce.

Let me ask you this, MissMary.. does your modded version of osCommerce have an Update Manager? No. Because I wrote that.

Does your modded version of osCommerce have a Layout Manager? No. Because I wrote that, too.

Does your modded version of osCommerce have a Page Manager where you can click a button and create a new static page? No. Because that's another module I wrote.

Does your modded version of osCommerce have an Image Manager? No. Because.. again.. this is another module I wrote.

These are all features that I built that are not available as mods or updates. These are elements that I wrote, and that separate hcmPro from other forks of osCommerce.

Thats really weird. I have been researching the backend of "YOUR" shopping cart software and it seems to have something called STSv4 installed. Simple Template System . I may be wrong but that isn't what your template system is running on is it?

Umm, most of that crap is already set up, a simple text box pointing to the right spot isn't all that great, TBO.

And YES - all THREE of those, under different names can be found in the forums.

Aside from that fact, you still CANNOT take an OS item, tweak it and use it to sell something.

Aside from THOSE facts, those 3 "mods", all you did was set up a link to point to the place they are inside OSCommerce - hardly tough coding to set apart from anything.

THANK YOU!!!! Thats what I have been trying to say all along. If you read the GNU it states that if you use open source software in your software, then your software is automatically open source!!!!

It says if you distribute open source software as a part of your own software that the software becomes open source.

I haven't distributed anything.

If a web designer designs an osCommerce template, does that template become opensource, too? No. Not unless the designer distributes the template with osCommerce.

Thats really weird. I have been researching the backend of "YOUR" shopping cart software and it seems to have something called STSv4 installed. Simple Template System . I may be wrong but that isn't what your template system is running on is it?

Well then, put it to the test.

You have full access to your MySQL database. If hcmPro is just a rebranded version of oscMax, then the database should just drop right into a stock copy of oscMax and run, right?

I mean.. if I didn't write any code.. then you should be able to do a straight dump of your hcmPro SQL into an oscMax install and be off and running, right?

I mean.. it's the same thing, you keep saying. You keep telling everyone in this thread you can get the same thing for free.. So let's see you do it.

I just upgraded your account with File Manager and Fantastico access.

It says if you distribute open source software as a part of your own software that the software becomes open source.

I haven't distributed anything.

If a web designer designs an osCommerce template, does that template become opensource, too? No. Not unless the designer distributes the template with osCommerce.

When you use it as a selling point, and are providing it to others to use, you ARE distributing it. In fact, earlier, you told people how to back up their site. Since the site is done in OSCommerce, you ARE distributing it.

The template for OSCommerce is a different animal. I suggest checking in to laws - because designing an item that ISN'T OScommerce to be USED in Oscommerce is different than coding an open source project.

You are talking about two different animals and that just shows me how much you really care to be compliant, or care about your customers.

But hey - let's take all the legal stuff aside - nothing you've done cannot be installed (by other names) into OSCommerce and you are ripping people off by telling them this is all stuff you've done for them, and charge an outrageous price.

Until this point, I don't think many people realized you were tweaking a FREE program to "sell" to them. Regardless of how you word it, since on your own webpage, you are using OSCommerce to sell (by listing all the things OSC already DOES), then people need to know about it.

You have full access to your MySQL database. If hcmPro is just a rebranded version of oscMax, then the database should just drop right into a stock copy of oscMax and run, right?

I mean.. if I didn't write any code.. then you should be able to do a straight dump of your hcmPro SQL into an oscMax install and be off and running, right?

I mean.. it's the same thing, you keep saying. You keep telling everyone in this thread you can get the same thing for free.. So let's see you do it.

Ah, tricky tricky. I do love how you word this. All you have to do is change a SINGLE piece of code, a minute slash on a page that isn't even presented and you can't drop it into another OS part. For all I know, you went in - right before typing, changed a single line in his site, and voila - he'll have problems.

Don't eff with people who know what they are talking about.

And WTF, you charge extra for fantastico and a file manager?

HOLD UP, I never said it was an exact copy but Frank, it is pretty durn close. You want to know what I have been doing for the past day, taking oscMax and turning it into what HCM is now. Now, I still have a ways to go but, I am pretty close to having what is a near exact copy of HCMpro. Don't beleive me. A screenshot of my admin panel is attatched. This software is on a completely different server. All I did was install oscMax (unmoded) and then start adding things in and changing things. BTW. Who in the hell needs file manager. You think that was protecting you from people seeing the backend, changing things. Its called FTP.

post-6473-139458448913_thumb.jpg

post-6473-139458448919_thumb.jpg

Don't eff with people who know what they are talking about.

Well since you think I host with Yahoo, apparently you fall squarely in the 'don't know what they're talking about' column.

The fact remains that the elements of hcmPro that make it point and click are my own custom built and coded works.

The truth is I looked for some time for already built mods to do what I wanted it to do, and couldn't find them, so I coded them myself.

I built hcmPro for people who wanted the power of osCommerce, but wanted an easy way to edit their own sites without hassling with code. For people who were tired of getting bent over paying $19.99 a month for Option Cart and getting stuck having to rely on MAL's, or having to pay even more for Mals Premium.

The introductory price for hcm was low for that very reason. To make sites affordable for small business owners. It's why it's been priced at $9.99 for some time now.

I'm not sure what exactly it is you're advocating anyway.. that people quit my service to use the same software with Yahoo at the same price?

HOLD UP, I never said it was an exact copy but Frank, it is pretty durn close. You want to know what I have been doing for the past day, taking oscMax and turning it into what HCM is now. Now, I still have a ways to go but, I am pretty close to having what is a near exact copy of HCMpro. Don't beleive me. A screenshot of my admin panel is attatched.

What sets hcmPro apart from oscMax isn't the orange color back end.. it's the stuff in 'Layout & Design' and 'Page Manager'.

It's all rather moot at this point, since i'm not in the hosting biz anymore besides maintaining the existing clients I have.

If you can build a better builder, more power to ya. Heck, if a stock osCommerce or oscMax install is as easy as MissMary says it is, you should just be able to load up oscMax and go, man. ;)

post-9631-139458448922_thumb.gif

post-9631-139458448924_thumb.gif

What sets hcmPro apart from oscMax isn't the orange color back end.. it's the stuff in 'Layout & Design' and 'Page Manager'.

It's all rather moot at this point, since i'm not in the hosting biz anymore besides maintaining the existing clients I have.

If you can build a better builder, more power to ya. Heck, if a stock osCommerce or oscMax install is as easy as MissMary says it is, you should just be able to load up oscMax and go, man. ;)

Oh, I am sooo sorry that I did not go into super close detail.....

post-6473-139458448926_thumb.jpg

post-6473-139458448926_thumb.jpg

Omg.. I am so confused. My head is about to explode! ( doesn't take me long to get confused either). I am an existing customer who is just gonna go with the flow for right now. It's getting to close to the holidays and I don't want to mess up anything as this is about the only time I am super busy with customers.

Confuzzled :confused:

haha.. I like how the screenshot of the login page the script for HandcraftMarket is clearly visible across the top left.

Nice uhh.. 'programming' work, there skippy. ;)

I never said that I was gonna go through the trouble of rewriting css sheets and uploading new logos etc....

Those came from MY backup

I never said that I was gonna go through the trouble of rewriting css sheets and uploading new logos etc....

Those came from MY backup

I believe what you said you were doing was attempting to turn oscMax into what hcmPro is.. which would suggest that you were starting from an oscMax installation.

HandcraftMarket graphics and stylesheet color schemes are not included in a oscMax installation, nor would they be included in a SQL backup from an hcmPro installation.

What you've done is either take screenshots of an existing hcmPro installation, or copied the software to another server.

I believe what you said you were doing was attempting to turn oscMax into what hcmPro is.. which would suggest that you were starting from an oscMax installation.

HandcraftMarket graphics and stylesheet color schemes are not included in a oscMax installation, nor would they be included in a SQL backup from an hcmPro installation.

What you've done is either take screenshots of an existing hcmPro installation, or copied the software to another server.

No, I had tried copying the software to another server, never could get it to work. Lots of errors.... So I started for the plain old oscmax, added in some mods, took the style sheets from the backup of my site added them in and presto, thats what you get..

No, I had tried copying the software to another server, never could get it to work. Lots of errors.... So I started for the plain old oscmax, added in some mods, took the style sheets from the backup of my site added them in and presto, thats what you get..

Who are you trying to BS?

The image displayed on the login screen is located in the /root/admin/images folder.

The only way that image would end up in the /root/admin/images folder of an oscMax installation is if you put it there.

Unless by 'added some mods' you mean you copied the entire /admin directory of an hcmPro installation into an existing oscMax installation.

Who are you trying to BS?

The image displayed on the login screen is located in the /root/admin/images folder.

The only way that image would end up in the /root/admin/images folder of an oscMax installation is if you put it there.

Unless by 'added some mods' you mean you copied the entire /admin directory of an hcmPro installation into an existing oscMax installation.

Sorry, I forgot the word logo. Anyways, I had tried copying the whole admin folder to a fresh install of oscmax. That didn't work either...

I finally decided to work my way trhough the images etc, to coverup the oscmax logo....

Ok...now this thread has turned into a pissing contest. Southern Scents...if you dont like the format, programming or anything else....take your biz elsewhere...it is just that simple! And Frank, you are just fueling the fire. You guys need to take this off the board IMO.

I chose to stop my service a few months ago...not because of anything that Frank had done, but because I just didnt have the time to finish my site. One thing...I DID NOT get a notice that HCM was being sold.

I do need to know how to transfer my domain once I have the time to do so.

Ok...now this thread has turned into a pissing contest. Southern Scents...if you dont like the format, programming or anything else....take your biz elsewhere...it is just that simple! And Frank, you are just fueling the fire. You guys need to take this off the board IMO.

I chose to stop my service a few months ago...not because of anything that Frank had done, but because I just didnt have the time to finish my site. One thing...I DID NOT get a notice that HCM was being sold.

I do need to know how to transfer my domain once I have the time to do so.

Huh, where are you coming from. I never said I had a problem with the format, or programming. I had a problem with the fact that Frank was charging for free software.