HCM Pro Users

sydnee

I was going to stay out of this, but I think I will add my two cents in. Adam, with all due respect, in doing what you are doing, what does this prove? All you are doing, is getting everyone's panties up in a knot (including mine). I admit, when I first heard about all this a few weeks ago, it threw me for a flip... because the details of this HCM situation were very vague. As of right now, I plan on riding it out with HCM... if you don't feel the same, I suggest you jump ship now. You need to do what's best for YOU.

There's alot of questions that need to be answered. Instead of veering off topic... how about we stay on topic for once?

Frank...instead of going round for round with Adam....lol, Can you calmly and politely explain, in detail what is happening with HcM? I mean none of us knows if when you change to Mazbo do we have the option of staying at HcM with the new owner or will we be switched to Mazbo? Will Mazbo be the same price? Easier to use? More choices? Will our sites transfer or will we have to rebuild? If our sites will transfer, who will be doing this? You? Us?

Let me tell you, I'm not computer savvy. All this talk about databases and SQL whatever's is greek to me.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to stay out of this, but I think I will add my two cents in. Adam, with all due respect, in doing what you are doing, what does this prove? All you are doing, is getting everyone's panties up in a knot (including mine). I admit, when I first heard about all this a few weeks ago, it threw me for a flip... because the details of this HCM situation were very vague. As of right now, I plan on riding it out with HCM... if you don't feel the same, I suggest you jump ship now. You need to do what's best for YOU.

There's alot of questions that need to be answered. Instead of veering off topic... how about we stay on topic for once?

Frank...instead of going round for round with Adam....lol, Can you calmly and politely explain, in detail what is happening with HcM? I mean none of us knows if when you change to Mazbo do we have the option of staying at HcM with the new owner or will we be switched to Mazbo? Will Mazbo be the same price? Easier to use? More choices? Will our sites transfer or will we have to rebuild? If our sites will transfer, who will be doing this? You? Us?

Let me tell you, I'm not computer savvy. All this talk about databases and SQL whatever's is greek to me.

You are right Creative and so are You Kimberly. I know that I have personally taken this too far, especially here on the boards. I apologize to all. I will atleast finish out this month with HCm and then after that I don't know.

Huh, where are you coming from. I never said I had a problem with the format, or programming. I had a problem with the fact that Frank was charging for free software.

I know a lot of you put countless hrs into your web sites and are truly upset and worried about this. All I can say is back eveything up. I have my entire site planned out and from the get go I saved every piece of info I put on there. Arent the rest of you doing that too? Yeah it would be a bitch to rebuild your site and I know most of you dont want to do that....so I guess some of you are just going to have to have a little faith. Adam, seems like you are happy with everything else just the fact that you think he is using free software and charging you for it? Even if he is using the free software, arent there fees involved with any other Hosting company? No, not picking on you...really I am not. I just think there are a lot of computer dummies out thre, me included, that are really getting upset over this 8-9 page thread....and maybe they dont have that much of a reason to be upset and jump ship.

Yes, Frank. That would be very helpful. I still haven't received a response to my e-mail inquiry so please take this opportunity to explain these details to us.

hcmPro is NOT free software. You cannot download it anywhere at any price unless it's bootleg.

If it was free and just everywhere for folks to download and use, then Adam would have it running already. The fact that he hasn't proves my point.

While hcmPro is based on osCommerce, which is a 'free' or 'open source' program.. the modifications that I wrote that set it apart from any other osCommerce based software are not free or available at any price.

Continued assertions that I was selling software that you could simply download for free are false, and border on libel.

The domain name HandcraftMarket.com and my custom coded modifications have been sold.

All current HandcraftMarket clients (including annual and lifetime members) sites are now running on my server.

The first part of August I will be releasing new software that will incorporate many of the issues and feature requests i've received over the last 6 months or so. When that software is released, clients will have the option of staying with the 'old' hcmPro software, or switching to the new software.

No current clients site is in danger of vanishing, or being shut down. If your subscription is current, you're still going to have a website. :)

The plan is to make the next generation of software even easier to use with more choices.. and no the price won't be going up.. if anything, it will actually go DOWN in price.

hcmPro clients wishing to migrate to the new software will be able to transfer most of their current site to the new builder with a few mouse clicks. The plan is to make the transition from hcmPro to the new software as smooth as possible.

As mentioned in the eMail sent to all hcm clients earlier this month, you can address specific concerns or questions to: frank@mazbo.com

I know a lot of you put countless hrs into your web sites and are truly upset and worried about this. All I can say is back eveything up. I have my entire site planned out and from the get go I saved every piece of info I put on there. Arent the rest of you doing that too? Yeah it would be a bitch to rebuild your site and I know most of you dont want to do that....so I guess some of you are just going to have to have a little faith. Adam, seems like you are happy with everything else just the fact that you think he is using free software and charging you for it? Even if he is using the free software, arent there fees involved with any other Hosting company? No, not picking on you...really I am not. I just think there are a lot of computer dummies out thre, me included, that are really getting upset over this 8-9 page thread....and maybe they dont have that much of a reason to be upset and jump ship.

Well, he already said that he only charges 4.99 for hosting but either way, I am done with it. I didn't intend for this to go this far. I am ashamed of myself for the way I have acted and I apologize.

Well, he already said that he only charges 4.99 for hosting but either way, I am done with it. I didn't intend for this to go this far. I am ashamed of myself for the way I have acted and I apologize.

I've held my tongue thus far (big surprise huh! -lmao)....don't apologize. People have decisions to make regarding their businesses. It is tough when you have put countless hours in to build something nice and you may be faced with rebuilding things over again from ground zero. You were responding with emotion. That is to be expected when something is a big suprise.

I think what everyone needs to do is take two steps back and weigh out your options. List out your pros and cons of staying and going. Take another DIY company and compare it's rates, customer service, programs/software, etc.

I for one did get confused on some parts...however I felt this thread was very informative.

You spent countless hours building your site.. I spent countless hours coding, testing, fixing, re-coding, re-testing the hcmPro codebase.

The whole reason I started HandcraftMarket was because I wanted to offer a lower cost alternative to the $21.95 and $19.95 'Do It Yourself' plans out there.

That's why hcmPro is only $9.99 a month.

All the other outfits have to license their software from someone else, or pay a programmer royalties. I decided i'd take a solid, existing open source product.. improve upon it to make it easy for the average person to set up and maintain, and offer it for half the price of the competition.

It's ease of use and low cost are why more than one developer has used the hcmPro software to build their client sites. Developers who are well aware of Zen Cart and osCommerce.

Sure I hoped to make a few bucks on it.. but let me tell you.. at $9.99 a month, i'm not getting rich on the deal. In fact, i'm lucky to make enough at the end of the month to pay my cable bill.

My focus has shifted to development, and away from end user sales.. which is why I decided to sell HandcraftMarket, and will not be accepting any new clients with the new software.

Well since you think I host with Yahoo, apparently you fall squarely in the 'don't know what they're talking about' column.

The fact remains that the elements of hcmPro that make it point and click are my own custom built and coded works.

The truth is I looked for some time for already built mods to do what I wanted it to do, and couldn't find them, so I coded them myself.

I built hcmPro for people who wanted the power of osCommerce, but wanted an easy way to edit their own sites without hassling with code. For people who were tired of getting bent over paying $19.99 a month for Option Cart and getting stuck having to rely on MAL's, or having to pay even more for Mals Premium.

The introductory price for hcm was low for that very reason. To make sites affordable for small business owners. It's why it's been priced at $9.99 for some time now.

I'm not sure what exactly it is you're advocating anyway.. that people quit my service to use the same software with Yahoo at the same price?

You are passing off OSCommerce as YOUR own. It's a LIE. And considering the people I've worked with that are using HCM, their sites are hosted on YAHOO SERVERS - then yes, yahoo is providing the hosting site.

You weren't trying to sell it as "OScommerce made easy". You are trying to sell it as a copyright material of your own.

And no, I'm advocating people learning about their own sites to do the same things you charge for and host them with companies for 5 or 7 dollars a month (sometimes even cheaper).

By your own customer's accounts (not all of course, considering there are a FEW happy people, but majority not), you've provided piss poor coding and crappy service for that "$9.99" a month.

I have never hosted anything with Yahoo, nor have I ever used Yahoo for anything besides chat and Instant Messenger.. well, and maybe the driving directions thing.

Does Zen Cart market their software as 'osCommerce Made Easy'? Maybe you should send them an eMail and tell them how screwed up they are.

Or perhaps the hundreds of outfits that charge big league money to write mods or build custom layouts.. or simply 'maintain' osCommerce sites. Maybe you should eMail those folks and tell 'em what crooks they are.

The fact that you can't determine where sites are hosted based on the address of any of my clients clearly illustrates you're talking directly out of your @ss.. or that you have HandcraftMarket confused with some other hosting/sitebuilder site.

I think the majority of your hostility stems from your own failures in this arena, compounded by the fact that hcmPro clients don't need your 'design experience' to maintain their sites.

The crux of your complaint appears to be that i'm selling something that my clients can pay you to set up for them and then get for the same price, or from $3 to $5 a month cheaper.. then when they want to add an 'about me' page, they get to pay you or some other self professed 'web designer' to do it for them.

Maybe this should be taken elsewhere, like to the HCM forum. If there is not one set up at this time, then perhaps one should be set up. HCM has not advertised on this site for quite sometime. As for the mention of Sharon's name anywhere in this thread, she is not and has not been affiliated with HCM for sometime now.

Frank how strange that all of a sudden you should arrive on this site, as if you cared about anything but yourself, at this point in time. You don't care about HCM or anyone else. Take your bitching and complaining somewhere else. Yes you have offended me by you lack of concern to you customers, to this site, the personal stuff I will keep to myself. If you are selling the company , fine, your customers still deserve good service until it is sold. And what exactly are you selling? If you need to raise your rates so you can pay your cable bill LOL then raise your rates. It is not only your business that is suffering. All those who have sites with you have businesses that are suffering to. Save the Drama for your Mama