Candles, drinking and recycling.

At the Celtic Fling this year I came across a candle maker that had a great product idea.

https://www.letsgetlitcandles.com/Home_Page.html

Mixing three of my favorite things, drinking, recycling and candles! I didn't get a chance to go back and buy one (I hate carrying things around all day) but they smelled great.

He takes his candle making and drinking seriously! :grin2:

Wouldn't that open him up to all kinds of copy right/liability issues? He is using their labels, right?

Thre are actually a few loop holes out there that he could probably get away with it. I was looking into licensing with a brand and asked the licensing rep about some other candles, as she said I would be the only candle maker they had, and she told me about the loop holes that can be done with out technically violating any laws. It's a "fuzzy" area.

Wouldn't that open him up to all kinds of copy right/liability issues? He is using their labels, right?

Well, then I guess I better do my Yule shopping now! :D

It would be a shame, they're really cool.

It's a great idea, but copyright law was my 1st thought, too. I have a friend that owns a huge liquor store & I'm always drawn to the beautiful & clever labels ... especially in the Wine room. It takes a little practice to get the hang of cutting glass, but you can get a good bottle cutter for under $40. -- so maybe you can REALLY combine your fav things & make a few of these on your own for Christmas.

Susan.

It's not fuzzy, it's very against copyright law. They are using the brand name to sell a product. This is being marketed and sold specifically for the intent to make money off another person's product. Especially if any of these brands market their own candles - which I believe at least a few of them do.

Using another persons copyrighted idea is a real stickler with me. Using someone elses idea that they paid for is wrong...in my opinion. Just because they are a big company is no different than stealing from someone on here. It's like their baby and they paid dearly to use that name/symbol. Who here would use Grumpy Girls label to put on your candle or any other product you manufacture?

Other than the fact she would kill you! :laugh2:

It's a great idea, but copyright law was my 1st thought, too. I have a friend that owns a huge liquor store & I'm always drawn to the beautiful & clever labels ... especially in the Wine room. It takes a little practice to get the hang of cutting glass, but you can get a good bottle cutter for under $40. -- so maybe you can REALLY combine your fav things & make a few of these on your own for Christmas.

Susan.

LOL. Not that I needed another reason to drink, but it's a good one!

I don't like 'em.

Maybe it's cause I don't drink but they just don't strike me as anything special.

They're just bottles with the tops cut off....no real talent there.

I guess with everything that I know I have put into making candles and what others do to be unique, different, creative whatever, this just doesn't strike me as... well.... anything.

Plus we all know, not only what a PITA labels are but how much thought and care goes into making those freakin' things, that it's insulting really that he's using those labels (cause that is the draw of his candles) to make money.

He had nothing to do with their creation and what they represent for the companies.

If just one of those candles have a problem people could very well go after the company who's name is on the bottle.

I know that some of those companies have their name/product in many areas so people could very easily assume that these are just another extension on those liquor companies.

Not only is he using their creativity of the labels/bottles but he is also riding the coat tails of all the advertising etc.

Really he had to do no "work" for his product which is a slap to all the really try hard.