Update on my adventures with a respirator!

first off let my say thanks ot top because after reading your post saying you don't need the filters i figured out what it was i did wrong..which was order filters not cartridges (okay bit of a umm blonde moment:rolleyes2 )! i got my cartridges and used the respirator this weekend and it makes a HUGE difference! i don't know why i didn't do this earlier.

at first i was afraid of the thing i mean all i could think about was this thing becoming stuck to my face (it has a really tight seal..lol) and my family finding me on the floor passed out but safe from fumes:tongue2: but i think i am over that for the most part...lol

all of you thinking about getting one of these should really give it a shot!!

at first i was afraid of the thing i mean all i could think about was this thing becoming stuck to my face (it has a really tight seal..lol) and my family finding me on the floor passed out but safe from fumes:tongue2: but i think i am over that for the most part...lol

LOL, that's funny.

For my part, I'm not overly paranoid about the fumes but I think they DO have an effect when you breathe a lot of them. At the very least it's congesting and/or irritating. So after that thread I couldn't resist at least trying out the respirator. I have the same one faerydust has, with the organic vapor cartridge.

Anything that bothers you when you pour candles will not bother you with the respirator, I can assure you of that. It's amazing, but you can't smell the FO at all (I suppose this must help cut down on candle nose a bit, if nothing else). You can breathe comfortably and there is no impression of breathing anything but clean air.

I don't know if I would wear it religiously, but I think I will wear it if I'm doing a lot of pouring. Especially if I don't want my sense of smell completely numbed.

My husband bought a respirator and a bunch of cartridges for me probably 4 years ago and I still haven't taken them out of the box. I look like an alien , it squeezes my face and makes a mess out of my long hair. Right now my method is to hold my breath while I'm stiirring :laugh2:

I have gotten congested on quite a few of the scents, and when I have bronchitis I can't even consider making candles, so maybe I should break down and get over the vanity thing and how scary I look wearing it. I'm sure it can't be good for my lungs in the long run to sniff this stuff day after day in huge quantities. Perhaps I'll go on a hunt for it this morning and see what happens.

DanaE

oh dana i know how you feel... my dogs won't come near me when i am wearing it. they bark at me like i am some kind of alien creature..:laugh2: i have long hair to and what i did was throw it up on one of those hair clips and i placed the piece that goes over your head on the clip to hold it nice and tight! it did get a little hot under there but hey i figure its worth it to not breathe in the fumes. i have been making candles for 3 years and i have really only gotten super sensitive recently. even if i am not making candles and sitting in the room packaging i am starting to get choked up :angry2:

give it a shot dana!

NO way. I mean, I can't force myself to wear the darn thing when I'm by myself, much less take a picture for the whole world to see - LOL! I tried it on just that once, and realized that if my husband saw me like that I'd never live it down so I yanked it off and put it away.

DanaE

You really must get over your respirator shyness. It's the new fashion trend and you were smart to keep yours until it came into style. Soon all the cool chandlers will be wearing one. You don't want to look like some kind of dork pouring candles without a respirator, do you?

I'm a dork, and proud of it!!!

Actually, something amazing just happened. Was downstairs doing laundry and decided to finish topping off the votives while I was down there and I can smell the eggnog!!! Oh happy day!! :bliss:

You really must get over your respirator shyness. It's the new fashion trend and you were smart to keep yours until it came into style. Soon all the cool chandlers will be wearing one. You don't want to look like some kind of dork pouring candles without a respirator, do you?

Who knew, after all these years, that I'd actually be in style?

I don't know.....maybe I'll try it out soon. I think I have a phobia. I can just add it to the list of my other phobias!

DanaE