Adding another soy with a soy

I am thinking about adding a little bit of another soy in with the CB-3 to see if it can help with some of the problems. I am sold on the scent throw with the CB-3 and the fact that I can get it closer. I have put off trying this because it seems like everytime I add a paraffin blend to a soy I lose scent throw and thought it would most likely be the same if I add another soy to it. Also, I would like to keep it soy.

For those of you who add another soy with soy to help with issues, does your scent throw stay the same -- is it as good? I will try it anyway, but it is nice to hear other's experiences. Thanks.

Hello Holly,

I am mixing my soys right now and it does help.

I was having frosting, pitting and wick problems with the one.

The other one, the cold throw was not as strong as I would have liked.

So i mixed the two soy together and they both compliment each other!!

Frosting and wicking issues are better. As well has the scent throw.

Give it try!! I am very happy with my soy :grin2: mixture..

Hello Holly,

I am mixing my soys right now and it does help.

I was having frosting, pitting and wick problems with the one.

The other one, the cold throw was not as strong as I would have liked.

So i mixed the two soy together and they both compliment each other!!

Frosting and wicking issues are better. As well has the scent throw.

Give it try!! I am very happy with my soy :grin2: mixture..

Thanks Islandgirl for the encouragement. :) I am going to try it. I am also going to try the stearic. However, the stearic won't help the bad frosting I get with some of the scents. If either of those work I will have to slowly incorporate it with the scents that I already finalized. I have a party coming up and I don't have time to finalize a new formula, because I will have to retest the wicking, etc. For now I am having to use the heat gun even when the tops come out fine, because I have previously had hidden airpockets. It is a drag. I have two scents that give me horrible frosting so if the other soy works I will have enough time to finalize those scents. The wicking may not change at all. I may have to wick down one. I will let you know how it goes.

Oh, by the way, how much of the other soy do you add to your main one? Thanks.

~Holly

I am still playing around with the the soy mixtures. I started 50/50 and have been working to get the "perfect" formula.. (If there is one:rolleyes2 ! )

Right now I am fazing out my old soy wax, using a new soy wax, and test mixing both soy waxes.(which I am really diggin) But it is enough to make ya crazy!!:P

I will be happy when I do find the perfect formula.:yay:

I had read somewhere that someone else was mixing their soys for thier own formula, so I decided to try it too and was pleasantly suprised.

It is working out pretty well so far.

So just get out your pot and start mixing!!! Hope it works for ya..

Thanks for the response, Island. Ok, I just added 20% of C-3 to the Calsoy CB-3. I was standing there going back and forth on "2%, 3%, 5% or maybe 10%, but that is really not all that much, maybe 20%." I finally settled on 20% by the way it looked (how much vs. CB-3). I am waiting for it to cool right now and will pour. I hope it helps. I made it with the worse oil I have the trouble with -- CINNAMON STICKS! UGH!! :mad: I am anxious to see if the frosting is less and the tops -- no hairline crack or dip or hidden pockets. We will see. Thanks again, and I will let you know how it turns out. I hope you do find your "perfect" formula someday. :yay:

I combine 3 different soys gor my soy wax. the one thing you want to make sure of is that they all have the same neighborhood of pour temps. Hot, warm or slushy. All of mine are HOT pours and it makes all of the difference!

Thanks Fire, for the advice. I sure did think about that. I remember being able to pour around the same temp (130) with the C-3 as I do with the CB-3 if I remember correctly.

It is setting up now, but that circular hairline crack is forming! :tongue2: The top's texture still looks nice and smooth as it usually does with the CB-3. Now the next test will be how the frost is. If the frost is better, than I have two other tests to make -- either add stearic for the cracking or add more C-3 to see if that helps. I may want to add the stearic since I don't want to reduce the CB-3 too much.

It is good to know that I am not the only one that has had to resort to using more than one soy -- gives me confidence with why I believe it is needed. It sounds like it must be working for you. :)

The reason I added different soy waxes is because I wanted my own blend of soy. Now that our local craft warehouse has pretty much discontinued Parrafin wax, they all are trying the C-3 with miserable results because they can't get it to behave the way their other parrafin waxes did.

I worked on my formula for nearly a year but I found what works for me and am sticking to it.

BTW C-3 is generally poured at a much higher temp than 130. I pour it at 175-180

The reason I added different soy waxes is because I wanted my own blend of soy. Now that our local craft warehouse has pretty much discontinued Parrafin wax, they all are trying the C-3 with miserable results because they can't get it to behave the way their other parrafin waxes did.

I worked on my formula for nearly a year but I found what works for me and am sticking to it.

BTW C-3 is generally poured at a much higher temp than 130. I pour it at 175-180

It sounds like you have a blend that you love. That is great!

Yes, the C-3 can be poured higher which is a good thing when you are using it alone because waiting for it to cool is a pain. I believe I poured both high and low with the C-3 but can't remember which way I liked better but remember that I was able to pour cooler and it still came out ok.

It seems to have worked find with pouring at 130 with the tops (20% C-3 and 80% CB-3) in regards to the smoothness but it is still doing the same thing. I may have to add more of the C-3 to get that to stop but I may try stearic instead of more C-3. I will try both ways.

Thanks for you help. :)

Well, when we got back from going out to dinner tonight I came in the house to check on the Cinnamon candle (20% C-3 and 80% CB-3 Calsoy) and there is hardly any frost. By this time with the straight CB-3 with this scent and color there would be lots of frost forming. This is great! Now I need to test for the scent throw in a couple days. Also, I still need to work on that dip and cracking. But, at least one issue is better. :yay: It is a start in the right direction.