Aroma Beads..

*Dee*

ok question for you all that make aroma beads for the sachet bags..

can someone help me out on instructions for these ? i dont want to scent whole pounds, so any tips on how much beads and how much F/O ??

i have an electric over lol.... has anyone used the corn cob verses aroma beads ? from what i have been reading the corn cob u can get from walmart and save on shipping and a heck of alot cheaper.. any pro's or con's on the crushed corn cob ?

I have also read....have not done it myself yet....that if you have a gas oven you can set the jars in there and they will "cure" faster. DONT turn the oven on though.

tootie

Now.. this confuses me. If it's not turned on, why put then in? Unless maybe it's the slight heat from the pilot light. In which case, my electric does the same by turning the light on. Either way, it doesn't seem beneficial. While heating them slightly might make them dry faster, it would probably make the scent leave faster as well. Just adding less FO should have about the same results. In my thinking, the best way to help the FO absorb is to shake, rattle and roll as often as possible.

Now.. this confuses me. If it's not turned on, why put then in? Unless maybe it's the slight heat from the pilot light. In which case, my electric does the same by turning the light on. Either way, it doesn't seem beneficial. While heating them slightly might make them dry faster, it would probably make the scent leave faster as well. Just adding less FO should have about the same results. In my thinking, the best way to help the FO absorb is to shake, rattle and roll as often as possible.

This is word's to pray on.

I tried to get some of my harder to soak FO's, in about every idiotic and not so idiotic way. From the oven on... over a stove... outside... over a griddle.... sitting next to my presto pots... less color, more color... even alcohol a touch.

Nothing works better than having them on the end of the counter so everytime I get up to go piddle, eat, or get the kids food or the baby's bottle... shake shake shake, totally covered. Uncovered, they dry faster, but they aren't as strong or last as long.

I guess it is the heat in the oven. I read about it over on the bittercreek fourm. There was one lady who puts hers in the car windshield in the summertime....she swears it just makes the process go faster.

I have not tried them so I really dont know.:embarasse

tootie

Since I'm no where near an expert on the aroma beads, it very well may be true. But it just doesn't jive in my logic process. Of course, that assumes I'm processing facts not assumptions.

At least for me, in the wintertime when it's cold out, the beads put out a softer throw, but it lasts much longer. In the hot summer, it'll knock you off your feet when you open the car door, but then it dies out completely in 3 - 4 weeks.

I'm thinking along the same line as candles. Cold throw isn't near as strong as the hot throw and a votive with a small melt pool doesn't throw as much as a larger jar with a wider melt pool. Then again, with wax it may be that it needs to be melted (or at least softened)in order to release from the wax.

Since I don't quite understand the chemical reactions I can't really say for sure. But, if there's a chance that heating it up is going to make the scent die faster on the customer, I'd rather take the time to make it as good as I can ;)

I love the suggestion that someone made (probably a year ago or longer).

She said she lives in the country on rough roads and when she has lots of errands to do (she may even have been a mail carrier--that's how good my memory is!) that she puts the jars in her car, so the beads get lots of shaking while she drives!

If any of you are rough-road dwellers, that's an idea for you!:grin2: