Additives with C3

I am in the process of switching my wax over to all C3 (no paraffin mixed in) and Stella recommended coconut oil & USA to even the wax out.

I tried one rounded tsp of coconut oil (solid form) to a lb of C3, and cooled in warm oven. What a difference that makes.Would it be wise to also add the USA along with the coconut oil?

I also remember she said if it doesn't throw after 2 days she moves on. I poured a mango & papaya and let it set 2 days instead of weeks. All I can say is WOW. I just adopted Stellas 2 day theary. Thanks Stella

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

When you say you add coconut oil to even out the wax what do you mean by that? And the coconut oil what did you find by using it that made the wax better? I use c-3 myself and just don't quite understand....Thanks so much!

Trappeur

I use 1 tsp coconut oil to a # of C3. I found that letting it cool even at room temp that I get very good glass ashesion just like papaffin would give. The top are nice and level with no crack and the scent is there right away.

So IMO it makes the C3 much nicer to work with. It almost seems like you have a one pour pariffin. I have also tried USA with it also (with no coconut oil) For me the coconut oil is a keeper.

and Stella recommended coconut oil & USA to even the wax out.
Not exackery... Stella said CO and USA can be used to reduce frosting. I don't advocate using BOTH together because I have found that CO enhances the tendency to cause cracking in C3. I much prefer USA because it aids in reducing frosting, enhances hot throw and evens out the texture of the wax (graininess) and helps smooth tops. For added texture enhancement and frosting reduction, I temper my wax. I don't simply turn the wax on and off and let it set over night, I stir and reduce temps at a certain point and bring them back up to a COOLER temp than originally so as not to promote the growth of the undesirable crystal phase I was trying to eliminate in the first place.

If don't have the time or focus to complete the process immediately, including stirring, I will turn the wax off after mixing in the additives (sans dye & FO) and resume the process at a future time when I CAN devote my attention more fully. Like everyone else who doesn't make candles for a living, life frequently interupts my candlemaking, so if I cannot give it my full attention, I stop at the point above to prevent making a batch of unsatisfactory candles that will take further time to salvage.

I always let C3 set up to cure for at least 48 hours to 1) allow the FO to "cure" into the wax and, 2) to allow the newly formed wax crystals to harden somewhat before testing. If the FO doesn't throw well, I often cap off the candle after a couple of test burns, put it at the end of the test line and recontinue in a week or so to determine if that particular FO simply needs a longer cure. If it does, I note that and will remember IF I am soooo in LOVE with that particular FO from that particular manufacturer that I can't live without it. So far, there's only two FOs that I feel that way about. The rest, I moved on to either test from a different supplier or dropped altogether because there are so many other fragrances I want to try.

Whatever you are doing, if it is working for you, by all means, continue doing it!

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!:D