How do you test for throw?

In the past I've wasted a lot of wax pouring testers in my regular size jars and as we all do, sometimes getting nada :sad2: throw... so today I bought a bunch of those flower pot votive containers and thought I'd pour small 2 oz testers and check for throw in my little bathroom before pouring the larger testers. Don't know if these are even big enough to tell anything, but guess it's worth a try.

If it works I'll be happy...don't know why I didn't try this a couple of years ago...guess I'm an eternal optimist thinking every fo I try will throw well.

How do you test? Small jars or regular size? Tips, tricks and ideas welcome...

I only test for throw in the actual sizes I would normally use. You've got a whole different wicking process with other sizes and even if it throws well, it wont necessarily mean your normal formula will work the same. This is my thought anyway...

Guess I am classified as an eternal optimist too hoping all oils will have killer throw :grin2: Many times I have had the ill affects of some oils smelling great OOB only to find out that once they get into my wax combo they don't throw well or aren't what I expected. My current process is to pour my testers 1/2 full to check for both HT and correct wicking but with the price of wax these days I am considering to pour up a small batch of melts for a quick "throw" tester to see if I like the oil in wax before testing in a candle. I am thinking adding this additional process may be worth a try before the pain staking disappointment of waste. If the melt throws well in my wax holding the scent to my standards and I like it well enough to proceed then I will proceed to tackle the wicking and throw. I say give the flower pot jars a shot and if you think it performs well enough to proceed then pour up normal size jars to test further. I figure it can't hurt to save a few $$$ if it works.

We usually use the same jar we sell but with only half the amount of wax as not to waste it if it doesn't burn properly.

Ditto...this is the way I do it. Different jars can offer a different intensity of scent throw. If the other jar is pretty much similiar in size and shape than it probably won't make much difference. Also, it gives me a head start on what wicks that seem to work. I usually put in the wick size that I usually end up using with most fragrances and then when I test for throw I can tell the quality of the scent throw and if that size wick seems to be working (at that level anyway). If I like the scent, I pour another one (full jar) with that size wick. These are the squaty apothecary jars. I have to adhere the wicks for testing in them -- too shallow to poke and stick the wicks in. HTH :)

The key is to find a procedure that works for you in terms of jar size, fragrance loading, room size, burning time and stick to that procedure. From a technical point of view, the perceived fragrance in a space is strongly affected by ventilation or air changes and most importantly the diameter of the wax pool as fragrance evaporates from the wax pool. A 3" wax pool puts out more than twice the fragrance of a 2" wax pool.